Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Girder Runtime

Grunt.exe at least sort-of works under XYNTService. Maybe it mostly works. I'm kind of out of my element in Girder 4...and don't understand a little lua scripting oddity I found when running as a service... anyway...

Here's what I found under XYNTService:

* it caused Grunt.exe to be terminated when i logged off the workstation unless I prevented it from interacting with the desktop.

* this in turn means you can't have the grunt icon in the system tray -- no biggie for me

* the webserver works

* rather obviously, console-based things like OSD do not work

* the following lua script put the file girderout.txt in c:\program files\promixis\girder instead of c:\ where the script puts it when running regular girder not as a service.
    Code:
    local x = io.open("c:\girderout.txt", "w")
    x:close()
    So, it might be suitable for my needs (all I ultimately need to do is script some IR-sending to take place for another service).

BTW, Girder 4 has me a little confused! I am mostly lost in its UI, but I guess I'll figure it out with time and reading.

So, is Grunt.exe in the basic version, or only the pro version? I can't tell from the trial download...

Also, perhaps obviously, it would be nice if grunt would run unattached when nobody is logged in (it does this now), then attach to the console and gracefully unattach on logon/logoff (it doesn't do this now).

i will see what I can do. Don't hold your breath as we have a lot of stuff we are doing.
    Ron
    No support through PM

Quote Originally Posted by salsbst View Post
    * the following lua script put the file girderout.txt in c:\program files\promixis\girder instead of c:\ where the script puts it when running regular girder not as a service.
    Code:
    local x = io.open("c:\girderout.txt", "w")
    x:close()
    You've hit the problem with \ being the Lua escape character. What it's doing is seeing \g, realising that \g isn't an expected control character and just dropping the \.

i.e. the path ends up as c:girderout.txt which will place the file in whatever is the current directory for the c: drive. It looks as though Girder and Grunt are using different current directories.

Either double up the \ i.e. c:\\girderout.txt or put the string inside [[ and ]] characters, ie [[c:\girderout.txt]] which will bypass the escape character.

Then it should always put the file in the c:\ directory.
    --Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob H View Post
    You've hit the problem with \ being the Lua escape character....It looks as though Girder and Grunt are using different current directories.
    Doh! Thanks, Rob.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234