View Poll Results: Is this a useful exercise ?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I would be / am interested

9 100.00%
  • No - Forget it

0 0%
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Home Automation using Girder / Net Remote and C-Bus

Default Home Automation using Girder / Net Remote and C-Bus

Hope this will be of interest to other members and will maybe provide a mechanism for me gaining some help along the way when I get stuck (which will be inevitable)!

Anyway, I have quite an ambitious project ahead of me as I am looking to use Girder 4 & Net Remote to form the heart of my House Automation Project.
    Basically I have a C-Bus controller system (which is great by the way) that will take control of all lights, blinds & sensors. I then have an Extron Matrix switcher for juggling the surround sound, the dual SKY+ boxes and music (music will be held on a networked PC). All output from the Matrix switcher can be pumped out to any room in the house. Finally I have a number of IP cameras placed both within and outwith the house.

I am an electronic hobbiest who has a good knowledge of programming (VB and its variants) but never done C programming. The whole project is being done by myself in my spare time so it projected to take me the rest of the year.

My plan is to post progress on this board and ask for help when required.

Regards

Gus

Hi Gus,

I have looked at the CBUS protocol in the past and it should be fairly easy to do with the serial plugin -> all in Lua. If you know VB it will be easy for you to do Lua.

We have a serial extension for the Extron. It might need some modification depending on the model.

Let us know how we can help out..

Default CBUS Connection - Global Variables in LUA

From my knowledge of C-Bus it is better to use C-Gate as the mechanism to send any messages through. Based on that I have used the GIP Plug-in and do seem to be getting somewhere but have a problem / question.

Here is my initial code:

-- CallBack Function
    function CGateCallBack(uData,uReturnCode)

if ( uReturnCode == gip.CONNECTIONCLOSED ) then
    print("Connection Closed")
    return
    end

if ( uReturnCode == gip.CONNECTIONESTABLISHED ) then
    if ( uData == 0 ) then
    print("New Connection")
    else
    print("New Connection Failed: ", uData)
    end

return
    end

print(uData)

end

--Start of Main Code
    --Open C-Gate Session & Register Callback
    uSession = gip.Open('127.0.0.1',20023)
    uSession:Callback(2, '\r\n', 1000, CGateCallBack)

-- Initialise Session
    uSession:Write('PROJECT DIR\n')
    uSession:Write('PROJECT LOAD CBUSNET\n')
    uSession:Write('PROJECT USE CBUSNET\n')
    uSession:Write('PROJECT START\n')
    uSession:Write('NET OPEN 254\n')
    uSession:Write('TREE 254\n')

This sets up the CBUS Project ready for commands to be sent. What I want to be able to do is then allow Actions to send a simple write command.

e.g. uSession.Write('RAMP 254/56/1 50%').

This would switch on a light to 50% of intensity. To make this work I need to be able to hold the uSession variable and call it from various different places (i.e. the script that sits on the back of the Action.

Finally I would have a function that closes the project and clears the uSession variable.

Can someone help please ?

Cheers

Gus

disclaimer, just did a nice hike out in the mountains and I am a little tired :-)

if uSession is not declared local then it should be available from anywhere in Girder. You can verify this in the Variable inspector.
    Ron
    No support through PM

Default Global Variables

9pm at night here in the UK so I guess you are a few hours back. Sounds like you had a good long walk (and I assume in the sun)......

What a platform - I am starting to see the power (and flexibility) it has and am getting a bit more confident. I even have the event messages from the whole C-Bus system now feeding back into the console by reading port 20025 and setting up a similar CallBack.

And yes, it was a missing \n that was causing my problem.

Onwards & upwards

Cheers for now

Gus

Cool! If you have the message feeding into the console, you can even feed them into Girder's event system!

Code:
    gir.TriggerEventEx([eventstring], [eventdevice], [keymodifier], [payload] ... )
    It was a little overcast here in CA, which is good. Hiking out in the mountains during summer is... HOT.
    Ron
    No support through PM

Default Finding out Device No for AddEventhandler Function

Moving onto using the AddEventHandler, how do I find out the device No. I am using an MCE remote control at the moment ?

Cheers

Gus

Plugin page on the settings dialog. Select the MCE plugin it will list the number on the left.
    Ron
    No support through PM

Default Select Case Statement

Thanks Ron - That has my AddEventHandler picking up all the commands from the remote so that I can programatically issue relevant commands to the C-GATE Server. There are a lot of commands and I wanted to use the structure

Select Case CommandIssued
    Case "Up"
    Send Increase Brightness Command

Case "Down"
    Send Decrease Brightness Command

End Select

Is this possible or must I resort to an If / Else If structure ?

Cheers

Gus

Default String Manipulation

How good is LUA for manipulating strings (e.g. Len, RIGHT, LEFT, INSTR etc). If it can do it where would I look for the details ?

Cheers

Gus

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast