Thread: Device Manager - Alpha Testing

Default Device Manager - Alpha Testing

All Testers....

Welcome to the first Alpha of the Promixis Device Manager -> Making Device Control and Interface Development Fast and Easy.

The Device Manager is a system for enumerating device's and their controls, displaying device status and sending commands using a common schema. There will be Girder and NetRemote components that will allow quick and easy development of your automation needs.

The G4 side is ready for testing. Components exist for the follow types of devices...

X10
    W800RF32
    Insteon
    Russound
    HAI
    Denon
    ZoomPlayer

New types of devices are added to the system using 'Providers'. Providers act as a layer between the Device Manager and the Plugin driving the hardware (or software).

There is no documentation yet. To try out the system, run the installer. See the Automation config page. Click on Device Manager. Here you can see all devices found (if using one of the above plugins). You can edit location, names and descriptions of your devices and see the status of device controls.

Controlling devices is done on the Action tree under the Device Manager folder.

You can also control devices from lua. More coming on that later.

All devices in the system will be automatically available in NetRemote including automatic status update. We are just wrapping up this component and will have something for testing soon.

Please post feedback (good and bad) and help us shake this out.

Mike

-- Update Ron: Download Girder 5 alpha to use/test the device manager.
    Last edited by Ron; August 7th, 2008 at 06:07 PM.

Probably worth mentioning that you need to enable the xAP Automation on the Plugsin page before you will see the Device Manager in the list.

When I did get into it, I wasn't able to select any devices and there were extra words on the screen - like "type" appeared just above/underneath the Heading "Filter"

When I go to the Select Device pulldown, I get no selections.

Am I selecting the wrong plugin or missing the boat on the location of the Device Manager? Is it under Settings and then on the Automation panel?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jnickel View Post
    Probably worth mentioning that you need to enable the xAP Automation on the Plugsin page before you will see the Device Manager in the list.

When I did get into it, I wasn't able to select any devices and there were extra words on the screen - like "type" appeared just above/underneath the Heading "Filter"

When I go to the Select Device pulldown, I get no selections.

Am I selecting the wrong plugin or missing the boat on the location of the Device Manager? Is it under Settings and then on the Automation panel?

Jim
    xAP does not need to be enabled.

You will have NO devices listed unless you have enabled one of the device types above and have entered devices in that list.

If you are seeing differnet, please attach a screen shot.

Ok...It looks kinda messed to me.

Here are screen shots of what I am seeing.

On the first one you can see I have both HAI and Russound plugins selected while at the same time, the Device Manager does not appear in the Automation panel on the left.

In the next shot, I have scrolled the list down so you can see that I have not selected the xAP plugin.

In the 3rd shot, you can see that I have selected the xAP plugin and suddenly the Device Manager appears in the Automation panel. (By the way, it also doesn't appear in the main Girder Actions panel until I check the xAP plugin.

Now I click on the Device Manager and I have shown you what I get in the 4th shot. All the pulldowns are empty. Also notice garbage printing on screen.

I then click OK and go back to the main Girder screen.

I open up the Device Manager tree and drag the Receiver action over to my Russound example gml (your GML actually). Then I right click the receiver action and choose edit. The pulldowns are empty. 5th screenshot shows this.

Hope this helps.

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Chaps,

This looks like it will be great.

When you get the chance it would be good to get some infor on how we can enable a device to become a provider.

What do we need to enable the Zoomplayer stuff?

Just thought I would post this output from the lua console. Which was a result of me looking at all the screens in the actions and setup, not actually doing anything.

TreeScript (golua): ...m Files\Promixis\Girder\/plugins/treescript/init.lua:46: bad argument #1 to `totable' (string expected, got nil)
    stack traceback:
    [C]: in function `totable'
    ...m Files\Promixis\Girder\/plugins/treescript/init.lua:46: in function `SetStringIndex'
    ...xis\Girder\/plugins/treescript/Device Manager UI.lua:2503: in function <...xis\Girder\/plugins/treescript/Device Manager UI.lua:2482>
    TreeScript (golua): ...xis\Girder\/plugins/treescript/Device Manager UI.lua:2513: attempt to index local `device' (a boolean value)
    stack traceback:
    ...xis\Girder\/plugins/treescript/Device Manager UI.lua:2513: in function <...xis\Girder\/plugins/treescript/Device Manager UI.lua:2510>
    TreeScript (golua): ...m Files\Promixis\Girder\/plugins/treescript/init.lua:46: bad argument #1 to `totable' (string expected, got nil)
    stack traceback:
    ...m Files\Promixis\Girder\/plugins/treescript/init.lua:46: in function `SetStringIndex'
    ...xis\Girder\/plugins/treescript/Device Manager UI.lua:2503: in function <...xis\Girder\/plugins/treescript/Device Manager UI.lua:2482>
    stack traceback:
    ...xis\Girder\/plugins/treescript/Device Manager UI.lua:2682: in function <...xis\Girder\/plugins/treescript/Device Manager UI.lua:2661>
    TreeScript (golua): ...xis\Girder\/plugins/treescript/Device Manager UI.lua:2692: attempt to index local `device' (a boolean value)
    stack traceback:
    ...xis\Girder\/plugins/treescript/Device Manager UI.lua:2692: in function <...xis\Girder\/plugins/treescript/Device Manager UI.lua:2689>
    stack traceback:
    ...xis\Girder\/plugins/treescript/Device Manager UI.lua:2682: in function <...xis\Girder\/plugins/treescript/Device Manager UI.lua:2661>
    stack traceback:
    ...xis\Girder\/plugins/treescript/Device Manager UI.lua:2304: in function <...xis\Girder\/plugins/treescript/Device Manager UI.lua:2280>
    stack traceback:
    ...xis\Girder\/plugins/treescript/Device Manager UI.lua:2304: in function <...xis\Girder\/plugins/treescript/Device Manager UI.lua:2280>
    TreeScript (golua): ...xis\Girder\/plugins/treescript/Device Manager UI.lua:2876: attempt to index local `device' (a boolean value)
    stack traceback:
    ...xis\Girder\/plugins/treescript/Device Manager UI.lua:2876: in function <...xis\Girder\/plugins/treescript/Device Manager UI.lua:2873>
    Looking forward to having a play later.
    Thx, Dan

Onwards and Upwards!
    http://www.danward.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by jnickel View Post
    Ok...It looks kinda messed to me.

Here are screen shots of what I am seeing.

On the first one you can see I have both HAI and Russound plugins selected while at the same time, the Device Manager does not appear in the Automation panel on the left.

In the next shot, I have scrolled the list down so you can see that I have not selected the xAP plugin.

In the 3rd shot, you can see that I have selected the xAP plugin and suddenly the Device Manager appears in the Automation panel. (By the way, it also doesn't appear in the main Girder Actions panel until I check the xAP plugin.

Now I click on the Device Manager and I have shown you what I get in the 4th shot. All the pulldowns are empty. Also notice garbage printing on screen.

I then click OK and go back to the main Girder screen.

I open up the Device Manager tree and drag the Receiver action over to my Russound example gml (your GML actually). Then I right click the receiver action and choose edit. The pulldowns are empty. 5th screenshot shows this.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Jim,

Disable all plugins BUT HAI, Russound, Serial, Treescript. Exit Girder.

Restart Girder. Show the contents of the lua console window here.

Dan,

Thanks for the output. To do a provider, please start a new thread with the plugin/device and Rob or I will help out.

Dan

Fix to UI is attached. Goes in the plugin/treescript folder.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I am going to close this thread. Please post issues/problems in seperate threads so we can track them easier.