Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Feature Requests

Cool Feature Requests

I was wondering if you guys could make a sticky for feature requests. Testers could have a place to post suggestions, and these could be used for G5, or in future versions. Basically an inspirational thread with ideas that can be explored and played around with whenever you guys feel inspired. Nothing in stone; just brainstorming and requests.
    Beware of the robot.

Consider this the official feature suggestion thread.
    Last edited by Ron; February 26th, 2007 at 03:38 PM.
    Ron
    No support through PM

Nice! Thanks, Ron. I have a couple of ideas, but I'll wait till tomorrow when I'm not intoxicated.
    Beware of the robot.

Quote Originally Posted by quixote View Post
    Nice! Thanks, Ron. I have a couple of ideas, but I'll wait till tomorrow when I'm not intoxicated.
    I find it best when I am intoxicated to discuss ideas!
    Thx, Dan

Onwards and Upwards!
    http://www.danward.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by danward79 View Post
    I find it best when I am intoxicated to discuss ideas!
    Me too, but I get lazy when it's midnight and I've had a few too many.

I have some decent ideas, I think I've probably mentioned some of them in the past, but seeing as there is a new release on the horizon, now might be a good time to review them and add a few others.

1) I'd like a way to hide desktop icons. Mastiff mentioned that a good HTPC should not have any icons on the desktop. I agree, but I'm messy and sometime lazy, and my HTPC is also my automation system and my gaming system, so they tend to pile up. I know this is possible because sysmetrix has the capability to hit a button and toggle the icons instantly. It doesn't actually do anything with the icons; rather it brings the desktop in front of them. I've managed to hide them and show them using a capture:
    Code:
    wParam: 29698
    iParam: 0
    using send message and targetting Program Manager, but for some reason it only works when I hide them to go into a lockdown mode. When the macro to bring it out of lockdown is fired, they do not show.
    This feature could be useful for when you want to make the desktop clean so that others (like the rest of your family) can use it without having to look at the junk that you've accumulated while working on the system. Also, I find it great for my lockdown mode when I don't want my roommate messing with my computer. I hide the icons, hide the start button, hide the system tray (which actually only locks it) and then block the windows key. I also use the mouse plugin to capture the mouse so it can't be moved. Which brings me to my next item on the list -

2) I think that the mouse plugin is so useful that it should be incorporated into the main Girder package. I think that if keyboard events are standard events, mouse events should be too. Pretty much everyone has a mouse. I would also like to see an added feature that is quite important to what I'm aiming for, and that would be toggle mouse cursor visibility. Packages like stardock's cursorXP (I think that's what it's called) have the ability to change the cursor appearance and once a while back I noticed that if you kill that app then your cursor dissappears. That's where I got this idea, and it's obviously possible.

The last two items I mentioned are mostly for front end purposes, but they could have other uses such as access control. Last I checked the screensaver disabled Girder and generally was useless for this type of thing.
    Granted, anyone who is good with computers could probably get around the access blocking measures that we put in place with Girder, but we won't be using our systems in public places.

3) This one is not important to me at the moment because I don't use multizone audio, but I think it may be in the future: I'd still like to see use of the audio picker for the "play wav" action and for the "speak" action. This would be immensely useful for status messages and sounds. I ran into this problem a while back while trying to send sounds and speech to a speaker that I had positioned above my front door, both for my alarm system to confirm it was armed/disarmed when I left or arrived and as a sort of intercom system that I could send pre-defined speech messages to people at the front door using a remote such as "I don't want any" and "target aquired" lol just kidding. But there were some useful ones, and I also wanted to make an answering machine type thing also, but I had so much trouble with my audio devices try to switch and switch back all the time, plus the interuptions in my audio stream if I was listening to music or watching a movie, that I abandoned the whole thing.

4) I know that Bluetooth functionalty is pretty much out of the question due to the cost of the licencing for such an undertaking, but this ties into number 3. For a while, Ron, you were trying to get this to work with someone (I think his name was Larry or something) and it showed promise, but then you gave up. I'd like to see you give it another shot because I think that voice recognition is going to become more and more popular, and many of us are using bluetooth microphones. It would be great if Girder could reliably detect the connection of a bluetooth headset. Lots of peopl have them kicking around for their phones anyway, so I think that it seems like the smart way to do it if you want to use voice recognition. No one wants to be tethered to their computer, and good open air mics are pricey.

Anyway I have to run to the hardware store. Thanks for reading.
    Beware of the robot.

I didn't have time to include the last one:

5) More display control options. It would be great to have a way to specify which display you want to turn on/off, etc. I can only speak for myself, but I think that more displays make for a much more useful system. I will be building a coffee table for my living room with a screen built into it to display my TV grid and some other controls like lighting etc, and I can foresee that it's going to be annoying if I can't turn off my main display without turning off the second and vice versa. Also, I have my TV hooked up to my system now with an auto video switcher, and it would make it a lot easier if I could turn of the second display (the one for the TV) to switch between different video feeds.
    Beware of the robot.

Well, I haven't been around lately and I appologize for my absence (even though I'm sure that most of the time I'm just a PIA).
    This is obviously not a very popular thread, but I thought of a couple of requests that I think would be great additions, and I'm hoping that someone will back me up on these:

1) we need a feature in the scheduler that allows us a variance of X number of minutes. I've recently been spending days at a time away from home and it occured to me that the light schedules are waaaaaaay too predictable/observable. We need a way to tell Girder to fire an event at, for instance, 9:00pm +/- 25 minutes.

2) Stop checking for the weather when the weather update is turned off. :P

3) I can't think of number 3. I'll come back when I'm not inebriated. (once again)
    Beware of the robot.

Well actually now you reminded me of this thread, I have a couple of things I would like to see.

1. It would be nice to have a button on the lua console to stop scrolling but still allow logging. That way it would not keep moving everytime it got s new entry while tring to read something.
    2. An action to vary a scheduler for 1 trigger by a given number of minutes would be good. For example my HTPC shuts down at about 1am I think. If a recording finishes at 0130hrs, I would miss half of it. In this case I could use the vary schedule action to change it by 30 mins and get my whole show.
    3. I think Dereks No1 should be called a scheduler randomiser
    4. It would also be good to see somekind of Motion Sensor Behaviour support. A bit like the homesear mcsMovement & dooMotion plugins. (I am told they are very good, no personal experience!)
    Thx, Dan

Onwards and Upwards!
    http://www.danward.co.uk

I thought of another handy feature, even though it's not very significant. It would be great to be able to name the different simple timers so that you do not accidentally use one that is already designated to an important timer.
    Beware of the robot.

How about the ability to use Girder through the phone with the modem?
    You could set it up to be an answering machine, but have macro events to send triggers to Girder. They would have to be not only time dependent, but sequential as well. For instance, you call your house, the modem picks up after a certain number of rings and plays the message over the phone. If you punch in your password right away, it would send an event to Girder, (example: GirderEvent PhonePass), then the PhonePass event would be attached to an Enable node action which would enable the Phone functions folder. Then you could play wavs over the phone or use speech that would help you navigate through the menu and each number would send an event to Girder. This way you could control your lights, etc. while you were away and without access to the internet.

What do you guys think?
    Beware of the robot.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast