Thread: MCE remote Configuration, But without MCE

Default MCE remote Configuration, But without MCE

Hi all! For starters, I'd like to introduce myself, my name is Paulie, and I am TOTALLY new to girder and everything about it. I have a goal that i wish to achieve, and several of my searches pointed me to girder, and i figure that if anyone could tell me if girder was the program I was looking for, it would be you.

Anyway, heres my situation:

Background:
    I have a Windows XP MCE(Media Center Edition) Computer, however, since it is approaching 3-4 years old, I recently wiped my hard drive and changed my OS to plain old XP Pro, which I like so much more...

My media center did, however, come with a IR remote that could be used to navigate through certain software that came with MCE from a distance. Well, since I no longer have the MCE software, only certain buttons on the remote work, and these buttons are the ones that affect the things that I do have(like the standby/shutdown button, or the volume control.) So instead of tossing the remote, I figure i should be able to configure the buttons to do other things, and the major goal i have is to set up the buttons in a way so that i can have it run specific programs, like notepad or calculator.

So, For a Quick(er) Summary:
    I Used to have a media center Comp, but now its been re-formatted with XP Pro, And I want to set up my remote that came with old OS to run programs and be configurable with my new operating system.

And my question...
    Is Girder the program that I am looking for to do this, and if so, where do i start?

Thanks in advance!

Bump ops:

...Bump #2?

No one can help me?

Girder might work if you can find a suitable plugin for the IR receiver - we'd need more details of that.

It may work as a HID device if you're lucky, but it's possible that you'll need to install the driver that came with MCE for that to work.
    --Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Hi all! For starters, I'd like to introduce myself, my name is Paulie, and I am TOTALLY new to girder and everything about it. I have a goal that i wish to achieve, and several of my searches pointed me to girder, and i figure that if anyone could tell me if girder was the program I was looking for, it would be you.

Anyway, heres my situation:

Background:
    I have a Windows XP MCE(Media Center Edition) Computer, however, since it is approaching 3-4 years old, I recently wiped my hard drive and changed my OS to plain old XP Pro, which I like so much more...

My media center did, however, come with a IR remote that could be used to navigate through certain software that came with MCE from a distance. Well, since I no longer have the MCE software, only certain buttons on the remote work, and these buttons are the ones that affect the things that I do have(like the standby/shutdown button, or the volume control.) So instead of tossing the remote, I figure i should be able to configure the buttons to do other things, and the major goal i have is to set up the buttons in a way so that i can have it run specific programs, like notepad or calculator.

So, For a Quick(er) Summary:
    I Used to have a media center Comp, but now its been re-formatted with XP Pro, And I want to set up my remote that came with old OS to run programs and be configurable with my new operating system.

And my question...
    Is Girder the program that I am looking for to do this, and if so, where do i start?

Thanks in advance!
    Do you have a link to this IR receiver?

5187-5049 is the model number for the Receiver

Made by HP

Best Buy Link

Remote model number:
    BestBuy link For remote

I'm not sure if there is other specs I can give you, like I said, I'm a total newb...