Thread: Elk Lighting Devices

Default Elk Lighting Devices

I am now starting to integrate lighting control in my Elk plugin. I have looked at the code for the HAI provider and see that the HAI appears to provide lighting capabilities for each device. Elk does not provide that information via the protocol. Depending on the device I have to send different commands to control it. The only thing I can think of is to configure each device with its capabilities via a config screen. Does this make sense?

Rick

Rick, the next iteration of the DeviceManager will allow retyping of devices (within what makes sense...). For example....

A light dimmer could be retyped as a light switch or appliance switch or just a switch (ie not a light or appliance). However, a light switch could only be retyped to a switch device, not a dimmable device. So I do not think you will need a config screen.

BTW, are you using any Elk thermostats?

Thanks for the input.

So I could install all lights as dimmer, then in the DM reclassify them to the correct type?

Not using any thermostats with the Elk yet, hope to be doing that sometime next year.

Yup

be sure the Provider uses the device:EventFromProvider method, as the retype alg. intercepts that call ...

we haven't had a chance to develop for the thermostat yet. if you are interested we will get you one.