Thread: Component Manager

Default Component Manager

Hi all,

A big part of G5 will be the new component manager. This enforces certain requirements on new plugins/components that further standardize behavior. For instance, components can enabled and disabled without a girder reset. As well, all components will use the Subscriber/Publisher paradigm to make tracking component events more straight forward.

For now, the component manager is located under the file menu. We have a small selection we have added to date with more coming.

Would like to hear some feedback and or questions.

What is the difference in purpose between the Component Manager and the Device Manager?

Component -> provides information and noncontrollable?
    Device -> provides information and controllable?

Rick

The Component Manager is where all components/plugins will end up. So you will see serial devices and such in the component manager.

The Device Manager contains devices that are 'exported' from components or plugins. Ie. The HAI plugin will export its devices to the Device Manager.

The advantage of the Component Manager over the older plugin system, is that their behavior is expected to fit with the CM's specs. In particular, components must be able to load and unload themselves during runtime without a G reset (note this is not always possible but is preferred). Components must publish their events to subscribers. A few DUI classes have been built (in early stages) to make creating config pages easy. As well the CM provides classes that make it simple to store and retrieve config data and logging files.

Probably the best example to date is the MediaBridge component

Ok makes sense now. I did see the MediaBridge component. I interested in knowing more about it.

Rick

Right now the MB component lets you control transport and gets player state data. It could do GAC requests and such but using the Send method. Nothing implementation in the class to make this easy though (yet)

It seems you guys have been very busy lately. I am looking forward to playing with more of the new stuff.

Thanks
    Rick

I can't wait to see the NR / Girder ccf in action, that should be really interesting
    Thx, Dan

Onwards and Upwards!
    http://www.danward.co.uk