Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Multi-Zone Audio + Home Automation + Vista Media Center

Very cool; how is NetRemote doing source selection on the D-Link devices? Is that an IR operation?

Cheers,
    Tim

Tim, Source selection is done via keypads or Netremote which is both PPC/wifi to server running Girder and 100baseT from PC node to Girder server, then from Girder server via serial to Russound cav6.6. Girder server is also media server for all zones plus kitchen TV head running VMC gui. Netremote can provide full VMC controll of kitchen TV (except power on/off) or can be controlled by traditional remote control via passthrough IR.

IR for other commands are send girder, then girder to irtrans devices which are on serial bus and does zone addressable ir blasts.

-mw
    Last edited by speedbump49; August 2nd, 2007 at 07:16 PM.

Gotcha; the Russound was the missing link that I hadn't caught in your earlier description. When the new MediaCenter extenders come out later this year, it should be possible to do central source selection for each extender without having any hardwired zone distribution (like the Russound). In the mean-time, I think you've got the best solution possible.

I use a Zon Audio system (similar to Russound, but with digital transfer of the audio to each zone). I'm hoping to being able to cut all those cables, so to speak, when the new extenders come out... and also to be able to distribute video in addition to audio (as can currently be done with the XBox360). There's a short blurb on the new extenders here: http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/entry/4119/coming_this_fall

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123