Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Satyr Plugin/Player

Default Satyr Plugin/Player

(I felt I should change this post as the plugin has come a long way, and due to the amount of communication Dan and I have using this board it has new posts regularly)

Everyone,
    Satyr is an audio player/pluign for MediaBridge I, with the tremendous help from Dan (with the funny hair ) have built (and continue to build). It is built soley for MediaBridge and therefore is tuned for this "NetRemote" environment. My drive is that NetRemote is the best thing to happen to my house but I did/do not like the way the 3rd party media players work.

Some highlights are:
    Super fast GAC response (due to a MySQL database)
    Customizable library roots
    Fully customizable searching ability, (i.e. search on track/album, year, etc)
    Tag editing ability (currently for MP3 and Flac, but it does still need work)
    LUA scriptable - currently limited but growning fast
    LUA has access to the DB for modifications to add custom fields
    Downloads album reviews and artist bios via Marcel's AMG.lua script, and adds it to the DB (and can be sent to NR)
    Adds event triggers between Girder, MB and NR (Mainly Satyr can trigger NR to do things, or Girder can trigger NR to do things through Satyr->MB)
    Can show extra Album and Artist art
    Images can be made porportionately correct, (i.e. a rectangular album image is rectangular, not squished )
    Multi-zone support
    Free!

Some downfalls:
    Currently only for MP3 and Flac
    It isn't completely "plugin and play" it does take a little effort to use the best features.

Requires:
    MediaBridge
    MySql
    Mp3 and Flac DirectShow filters

It is the only plugin I use, as my music listening experience only involves my touchscreen or (NR PDA) and my speakers.

Two posts down Dan has a very good documentation of use.

Thanks,
    Brett
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by JBrett; October 6th, 2007 at 07:23 AM.

Sounds pretty ambitious and i'm sure there will be plenty of potential users of this if you manage to pull it off. Personally I find I can do pretty much everything needed music-wise with JRMC, MediaBridge & NetRemote, the only thing you've mentioned that I would really like to see added to NR/MB is tagging functionality. It would be nice to be able update the genre of an album, correct a typo in a track name etc directly from NR. Marcel did mention a way to do this via Girder but it was too complex for me

Good luck.
    JLee
    OpusNR & JLee CCF/GML available in the downloads section.

--THIS POST HAS BEEN EDITED TO ASSIST ANY BRAVE SOUL WHO SHOULD WANDER DOWN THIS PATH**

Satyr as a player dedicated to NetRemote has come along way since its original conception and unveiling by Brett Lazenby, this thread has become extensive and rambling, far too much for anyone with hopes to see for themselves what it has to offer a NetRemote user that no other player can give. For this reason i have edited this thread in the hope i can fasttrack the progress of such a reckless and foolhardy person.

Getting this player to work is not rocket science and doesn't take any particular technical skills, but if you are the type of person who can never seem to get a pc to do what it should, and you wonder where all those pop-up ads keep coming from, you may be in over your head with this.

Here is a short text that may (or may not) get you started;
    How To Use Satyr Media Player with the use of MediaBridge and NetRemote.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Before you try to use Satyr there are a few things your will need to have. Below is a list of these things in order of priority.

1. A working SQL server, running on the localhost

2. Media library consisting of .mp3's or .flac files. Each album of the library should be sorted into separate folders and each file MUST be correctly tagged.

3. A working install of NetRemote & MediaBridge

4. .NET Framework Ver 2.0 installed

5. Satyr Plugin/Player installed

6. AMG.Lua's Amazon membership requirements

7. An optimised Satyr .ccf

8. An internet connection

If you are sure you have all of these things you may skip to part 2. Otherwise start with part 1.

**** PART ONE: *****

What to do if you do not have any of the above criteria.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    If you are lacking in any one (or all) from the above list find its heading in the following text and follow the instructions;

1. SQL Server
    Choose your copy of MYSQL from the servers listed on this page http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/5.0.html#win32 .
    I used Windows Essential on winXP operating system and found the installation to be very straight forward. You do not require an intricate knowledge of running a MySQL server or of the associated Language. The Satyr installer (mentioned later) will take care of the creation of all tables, users and queries for you. When you install the product set it to start with windows and also to run as a service. When you are done trying Satyr you can simply uninstall it again

2. Media Library
    If your media is not in mp3 or flac format you cannot use Satyr (at this time). .aac .ogg .wmv or .mp4 will not work.
    If you have the correct type of file but your files are filed in a jumble and the tags are non existant or incorrect you have 2 options, you can erase all that rubbish and start fresh with a more planned approach (recommended) or you can get a file retagging app and try to salvage (good luck).

3. NR and MediaBridge
    You must have NetRemote running on your machine and connected to MediaBridge using a standard MB compatible player. You can get a free trial of both NetRemote and MediaBridge from Promixis on this website http://www.promixis.com/ if you get the install file for NetRemote and run it it should take care of installing MediaBridge for you too. It is assumed you already have a working knowledge of this software.

4. .NET framework version 2.0
    If you dont have this installed on your system you can get it free from M$ here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

5. Satyr installation files
    You need to get a copy of a Satyr's install file posted by the Author Brett Lazenby in the post found herehttp://www.promixis.com/forums/showp...22&postcount=1 installation should be straight forward if you have any problems you can demand an immediate solution from Mr Lazenby by posting in this thread ( http://www.promixis.com/forums/showt...722#post113722 ) on the Promixis forum.

6. Membership at Amazon.com
    Satyr uses Lua code written by Marcel (see thread here http://www.promixis.com/forums/showt...1513#post71513 ) to obtain (and database) additional data and images for the artists and albums in your collection. For the images feature to work you must sign up for a free account with amazon.com and create an entry in your registries for the access key (as specified by Marcel). You do NOT need to be running Girder for this to work with Satyr, you do not actually need to get a copy of AMG.lua either as the installer will take care of this for you. You can get your free amazon.com account on this page http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html?node=3435361

7. Optimised Satyr .ccf
    Although not essential it defeats the purpose of using this amazing player if you don't use a .ccf designed to use with it.
    The player comes with a demo .ccf which you will find in the applications installed directory c:\program files\Satyr\doc\ (default setting).
    Alternatively you can use the .ccf and .lua files attached to this post. Both the default and alternative .ccf's are in 800X480.

8. Internet
    Not strictly required to use Satyr but useful if you are trying this for the first time and you want to tell me these instructions suck by posting in this thread (http://www.promixis.com/forums/showt...722#post113722 ).

***** PART TWO: ******

How to install and use Satyr
    -----------------

If you have all requirements together, using Satyr as your primary player through NetRemote should be a breeze. Start MediaBridge with your previously selected player then choose 'Satyr' from the 'Selected Media Player' drop down menu. It may be worthwhile moving the satyr.lua file from NR's luascript dir into the startup dir.
    Now start NetRemote and load your Satyr based .ccf then ROCK OUT.... your done!
    I hope this helps someone

Dan

**Please note if you use the attached .ccf you must also remove (renaming will not work) the existing satyrcore.lua from -Satyrs- luascript\startup directory and replace it with the attached core.lua
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by theguywiththefunnyhair; February 12th, 2008 at 03:17 AM. Reason: update to info
    XP + G4 + Lua = :)

Dan,
    You are right, the references to `test` should be `satyr`. I uploaded an update (on the first post) that has a fixed .sql file that should create the database, user, and tables required.
    As far as the NetRemote plugin, there are two .dll files required, they are CDRip.dll from CDex, and libmysql.dll from MySql. I updated the readme to reflect this.
    I will try to fix the hard-keyed path for the NetRemote plugin (to allow 'Rip') and upload it tonight.
    Thanks for testing this, and I hope there are not too many other things missing.

Brett
    Last edited by JBrett; April 11th, 2007 at 05:25 PM.

Cool! I'm keen to try this, Brett. When I get the other issues folks are having resolved, that is.

I uploaded a new package that contains a new drv_satyr.dll. In the properties of the NetRemote Satyr plugin there is a location to put the Rip to path (this can either be a network share or a local path) The CDRom number (not letter) to watch for CD insertion (which triggers an event to NetRemote) and the name of the database server.

Thanks,
    Brett

Hi Brett,

Putting the required .dll's into the NR dir fixed the problem for NR.

I have created the required user and database.tables in Mysql with permissions. One thing i noticed in your .sql file you have the line:
    Code:
    create user `satyr` identified by 'michelle';
    however to create a user with this password i first had to create a 41 hex character password checksum using PASSWORD('michelle') and then create using
    Code:
    create user `satyr` identified by 'my 41 character code';
    Mediabridge still reports and error initializing the plugin for Satyr when i select it, but doesnt give any more info than that. I tried manually starting SatyrMain.exe but it failed to launch the error states
    This application has failed to start because the application is configured incorrectly. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.
    I have double checked i have all files in the right place, im fairly sure it is as you specified.

Dan

Dan,
    Ok, I will have to fine a virgin box to install it on and see what happens, all of my computers are "corrupt" with the correct .dll files and such already. Thanks for helping me with this, I hope I can make it all worth it.

Brett
    Last edited by JBrett; April 12th, 2007 at 07:36 AM.

Ok,
    I uploaded another attempt for a successfull install. This time there is a SetupSatyr.msi package that should install the files in the correct location (assuming the default NetRemote and Girder locations are used). Delete any satyr.dll files that may already exist, as if there is more than one on the system it will cause issues. I also was able to move the main files into their own directory instead of system32. The setup will install the main Satyr MediaBridge and Girder files, it does not install the NetRemote files. (I will work on that) And it requires .Net 2.0. This part of the install seemed to work on a virgin box, however I was unable to complete the testing, so I will check deeper and post an update as soon as possible. If you have time and don't mind testing it, let me know if this works. Hopefully I can work through this part soon so we can get to the fun stuff

Thanks,
    Brett
    Last edited by JBrett; April 12th, 2007 at 07:56 PM.

Ok.. Your installer seems to have done the trick, Satyr runs. Unfortunately it quickly comes to a halt stating
    Query return error; MySQL Server has gone away
    I checked the MySQL server from the command line and it's still running, and accepts the login for user satyr.

F.Y.I. the installer wouldnt work for per user install, it only worked for 'everyone'.

Cheers

Dan

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast