Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Girder support 2 USB-UIRT's??

Default Girder support 2 USB-UIRT's??

I'm using a USB-UIRT successfully to control most of my HT gear that's located in my equipment room. It works really well. I have a dvd player in the lobby of my theater, that I would like to control via a second USB-UIRT. I ran a long usb cable to the lobby...to possibly do this, but I didn't think to see if girder could recognize and control a 2nd USB-UIRT. Can this be done? Is there anything special I need to do? I need to know this before I order the 2nd unit. Thanks.

I believe you need to ask Jon Rhees for a special version of the girder plugin (or possibly a special driver, I can't quite remember the details). Take a look on the USB-UIRT forum over at www.usbuirt.com
    --Rob

Why not just use external emitters? There's a jack in the USB-UIRT, and I have it controlling stuff all over my house directly or via IR-RF-RF-IR extenders (like the Powermid). If you don't have two identical pieces of equipment (so turning on something in the HT will turn on it's counterpart in the lobby - which is why I don't have two units in my house of the same brand, but spread it over JVC, Denon, Onkyo, Sharp, Sony and so on) you should be OK doing this. Most IR-RF-RF-IR units can have an external emitter plugged in as well.
    Tor - managing director of the Cinema Inferno home theater and multi-zone sound system with Girder running the show in the back, NetRemote as the GUI and Media Center 17, PowerDVD and ZoomPlayer as playback software
    Hobsyssel mastiffs: http://www.hobsyssel.no

I bought two USB-UIRTs and I'll be trying to do the same thing. I have two DirecTV receivers that I want to control remotely via the Internet. They will be in the same room so I'll try doing it from a single PC. I'll try Girder first since Jon says that Girder supports two USB-UIRTs, but if that fails I'll go with something else....

If anybody's done this before - I'd appreciate any lessons learned. Thanks,

Bryan

The USB-UIRT can control up to 3 seperate zones. The jack on the back of the device, with the appropriate splitter, uses 2 zones (the front blaster is its own).

Controlling only 2 identical cable boxes only requires one usb-uirt. EDIT: Several cable boxes and sat boxes have an option in the user interface to change the IR codes they receive... meaning... you can use one zone for several boxes.

As Mastiff already said, I have one usb-uirt controlling devices all throughout my house (note, most devices have individual IR codes). Depending on how many devices use the same ir codes, there are other solutions to this problem (ie Global Cache).

Many ways to skin this cat..

Treetop
    Last edited by Treetop; April 26th, 2007 at 02:27 AM.

On the same note... If Jon doeshave a girder plug-in that allows 2 usb-uirt's to be controlled in this app, please post a link in this thread, for others that may need it in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Treetop View Post
    On the same note... If Jon doeshave a girder plug-in that allows 2 usb-uirt's to be controlled in this app, please post a link in this thread, for others that may need it in the future.
    It doesn't work with Girder 5 though.

USB-UIRT Forum post:
    http://www.usbuirt.com/phpBB2/viewto...696&highlight=
    Last edited by noodleNT; August 12th, 2007 at 01:38 PM.

Really? Have you tried it? Most Girder 4 plugins should work with G5.
    --Rob

Yep, It's just a bank window when you open up an action that already uses it. It isn't in the actions list or config screen on the settings page even though the puggin is active.

That's a shame - you'll have to email Jon Rhees about that I'm afraid as we don't have the sources to that plugin.
    --Rob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast