Thread: QOS and Girder

Default QOS and Girder

Hey All,

Anybody got any ideas how to guarantee delivery of girder IP/TCP messages, or at least make them the highest priority delivery?

The reason I ask is that I have a distributed setup such as follows

Main Remote - Ce4.2 device with NR 2
    Secondary Remote - PPC2003 with NR 2

Main Girder Server (Connects to all NR Versions and is Device Manager Machine)

HTPC PC (Receives messages from server when needed and sends messages to server when needed)

I also have a dedicated Sharezza server for LEGAL file sharing, and a dev/games/gen machine for WOW and other such pleasures.

When the Sharezza server is in low operation - this setup work brilliantly. When I have Sharezza downloading at max throttle (64KB so far) it seems to cause some issues with message delay. For example my GlobalCache device will not change the channel because the 3 channel numbers receipt gap were so big that it thinks that you have stopped inputting numbers on the Set-top box)

I'd like to get around this by having someway of setting a message priority on the network. This can be donw with ports as Girder and GC have different ports to Sharzza and WOW.

Any ideas how to do this (without suggesting I go out and buy a CISCO style network)

64KB/s throughput from Sharezza is killing network performance? That doesn't make sense to me. What network hardware do you have? How are the PCs connected? Or is this WiFi/Powerline networking?
    --Rob

Hi rob.

I have a gigabit router and gigabit switches. devices are connected by cat 5E cable.

My external link is rubbish. It is a shared 100nbit link. but it is shared with 700 apartments and carries cable tv and phone to most apartments.

Internally the network should be support fast and it is except when sharazza is on. it also seems to adversley affect world of warcraft.

Have you seen this page - http://wiki.shareaza.com/static/Trou...nectionTrouble

It sounds as though Shareaza is creating too many connections and the router can't cope.
    --Rob