Thread: Controlling a PC with a Harmony 880.

Default Controlling a PC with a Harmony 880.

I own a Harmony 880 and I was wondering if I could use the UIRT to control my computer. I don't see any options on the 880 web configuration screen for USB-UIRT or anything that looks similar.

Is there an easy way to use Girder and the Harmony remote?

Thanks,
    Lee

Just pick a remote from the list that doesn't correspond to any real hardware you have and try a couple of buttons. Make sure you test them before you do too many as some remotes use alternating codes which are a pain to work with.
    --Rob

Is there anyone here who knows good/working "dummy-device" to use with Harmony?

A few months ago I spend a good amount of time to set up my Harmony to work with my PC via usb-uirt/girder. I tried many different devices and most of them were no good for exactly that reason - alternating codes. Another annoying thing is when I use a regular universal remote control and configure it to say Aiwa CD player - it works nicely with usb-uirt/girder. When I configure Harmony to the same device, it does all kinds of strange things (alternating codes, same codes for different buttons). If teach Harmony from another remote it's not good either - I guess it misinterprets some commands..

Right now, my Harmony kinda works (I used some Aiwa as I found they have strong and simple codes). However, it still fires 3-5 different codes from each button depending on the length of a press (fortunately, Girder accept more than 1 per button). Looks like it's an anti-repeat issue but I couldn't figure out how to fix this..

Quote Originally Posted by Rob H View Post
    Just pick a remote from the list that doesn't correspond to any real hardware you have and try a couple of buttons. Make sure you test them before you do too many as some remotes use alternating codes which are a pain to work with.