Thread: GIrBIL infrared

I've just bought a GIrBIL infrared pickup (connects to the serial port) and would love to use Girder with it. The question is, can I? Anyone know if this is compatible? I'm a coder so perhaps writing a dll for it might not be out of the question, but I'm pretty new to the whole infrared thing...
    Btw, does anyone know if I can point one of those generic spare TV remotes at my GIrBIL device and have it understand? (you buy these remotes on their own, they're pre programmed with loads of different IR standards for different TV/video makes).

The GIrBIL is made by http://www.greenwichinst.com btw.

thanks
    occular

It should not be to hard to create a driver, maybe an existing driver will even work. Did you try some of them (ctinfra.zip, is a good start)

And usually you can use just about any remote with these kinds of devices, no garantees though as I don't know this device.

Ron

I hate to disagree with Ron but GIrBIL appears to be an IRDA receiver. Most of these DO NOT work with consumer IR devices (like universal remotes).

From the GIrBIL help file:
    "Will the GIrBIL work with my TV remote? - No! The GIrBIL will only function with other IrDA infrared compatible devices."

Sorry.

Mark is absolutely right, if it is an IrDA device you are out of luck. I didn't notice that on the pages but then again I didn't look at it too hard. Oh man, it says IRDA in the first line,.. now i need coffee.

[Edited by RonB on 04-24-2001 at 02:58 PM GMT]

RonB wrote:
    Mark is absolutely right, if it is an IrDA device you are out of luck. I didn't notice that on the pages but then again I didn't look at it too hard. Oh man, it says IRDA in the first line,.. now i need coffee.

[Edited by RonB on 04-24-2001 at 02:58 PM GMT]
    Ok, thanks everyone for your replies!
    So if I was going to buy a new IR receiver, to use girder with, what would anyone advise?
    I'm in the UK btw, if that makes any difference...

thanks!
    occular

Probably the most popular is Evation's Irman available at: http://evation.com/irman/index.html.

It's inexpensive ($35 US) and integrates well with Girder.

Regards -- Steve