Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TToIP - Help

Default TToIP - Help

Hi

I want to operate TT in a Remote HTPC from a local PC with a IR remote via girder. I have been trying the TToIP GML in the local PC with no results.

Have done the following.
    1. Enabled GIP, Taskswitch and Taskcreate plugins.
    2. Enabled TT in the Remote PC for TCIP and corresponding port.
    3. Configured TToIP GML with remote IP address.
    4. Configured ports in firewalls to the designated ports.
    5. Tested with Firewalls completly off.

When I F5 the TToIP GML intialization, it responds with LUA success nothing triggered.

When I F5 the TToIP commands I get an error like the one below.

It can't detect any bytes sent viewing task manager when I F5 TToIP GML.

Any suggestions?

[string "Eiffel Theatertek over IP v1.1.gml:\Theater..."]:195: attempt to index field `socket' (a nil value)
    stack traceback:
    [string "Eiffel Theatertek over IP v1.1.gml:\Theater..."]:195: in function `Send'
    [string "Eiffel Theatertek over IP v1.1.gml:\Theater..."]:204: in function `Command'
    [string "Eiffel Theatertek over IP.gml:\TheaterTek 2..."]:1: in main chunk

The TToIP plugin (which was based on TT 2.4) is really meant to work when Girder and TT run on the same machine.

It could be adapted (and TT 2.5 add useful features for this setup).

To help diagnose what's going on, are you having trouble with both TT and the TToIP plugin running on the same machine?

Eiffel

Hi,

Thanks for your time.

No, it works fine with TToIP on the same computer. I did upgrade to tt2.5 with the same results.

What suggestions do you have for configuration?

Over the next few weeks, I plan on updating the plugin to make use of the TT 2.5 features. I'll see what I can do to support running TT on a remote PC (although I only have one PC to test it on).

Eiffel

Am I missing something? My understanding is that the whole point of home automation is remote control, and it amazes me how hard all the software writers are making using remote control, even girder seem to treat it as a minor item which is very confusing to set up. Why on earth would you want to control something on the same machine with tcip commands? Surely everyone wants to control their player from another networked pc or a hand held networked pc, if they just want to use a hand held as a "One for all I/R remote" then they just stick an I/R receiver on the players pc, install girder with the Theatertek plugin and away you go. What exactly is the point of TCIP on the same machine? when girder already has a plugin for Theatertek.

Quote Originally Posted by wedgehog View Post
    Am I missing something? My understanding is that the whole point of home automation is remote control, and it amazes me how hard all the software writers are making using remote control, even girder seem to treat it as a minor item which is very confusing to set up. Why on earth would you want to control something on the same machine with tcip commands? Surely everyone wants to control their player from another networked pc or a hand held networked pc, if they just want to use a hand held as a "One for all I/R remote" then they just stick an I/R receiver on the players pc, install girder with the Theatertek plugin and away you go. What exactly is the point of TCIP on the same machine? when girder already has a plugin for Theatertek.
    Wedgehog,

There are some benefits of controlling Theatertek over IP even on the same machine: for one, it is a reliable way to target the Theatertek application (definitely better than emulating the Keyboard and sending emulated key presses to the application with focus). There are also finer commands available only through this protocol (e.g set volume to value xyz). The other key benefit in my experience is the ability to get some information from Theatertek (there are some spoofing programmes such as DVDSpy which work quite well, but the IP protocol is officially supported by the creator of TheaterTek).

Of course, for a simple remote application this may be a slight overkill (the basic plugin is probably sufficient for many people).

---

By the way, I have a version of the TToIP plugin which supports the new features added in TheaterTek 2.5 (e.g. control of Autokiller, etc.), and am working on a Girder 5.0 version of the plugin as well (the current version works, but doesn't take advantage of the Device Manager, and web page control which G5 adds). This will cleary be overkill for most simple remote users!

Quote Originally Posted by Francois View Post
    Wedgehog,

There are some benefits of controlling Theatertek over IP even on the same machine: for one, it is a reliable way to target the Theatertek application (definitely better than emulating the Keyboard and sending emulated key presses to the application with focus). There are also finer commands available only through this protocol (e.g set volume to value xyz). The other key benefit in my experience is the ability to get some information from Theatertek (there are some spoofing programmes such as DVDSpy which work quite well, but the IP protocol is officially supported by the creator of TheaterTek).

Of course, for a simple remote application this may be a slight overkill (the basic plugin is probably sufficient for many people).

---

By the way, I have a version of the TToIP plugin which supports the new features added in TheaterTek 2.5 (e.g. control of Autokiller, etc.), and am working on a Girder 5.0 version of the plugin as well (the current version works, but doesn't take advantage of the Device Manager, and web page control which G5 adds). This will cleary be overkill for most simple remote users!
    Thanks for that Francois I am looking forward to that, Have you got it sorted for remote control? Will you post it for us in here please?
    I can understand your point in your reply, but Zoomplayer has TCIP control through a port number, and it's controls are plentiful and work beautifully and solidly, it even sends loads of feedback info so you can display stuff on your control screen about titles and chapters and levels etc, and a huge library browser that I can see from across the room.
    TheaterTek has a port number and accepts TCIP commands so why can't it be remotely controlled by them? and pass info back. It just seems sad to have such a beautiful player with such limited control. Even the Girder plug ins only have very basic control and no info feedback. My media PC is in another room with all the other gear and just one VGA cable runs hidden to the flat screen in the lounge. I control everything from my PC next to me, so I need full control. I even tried controlling TheaterTek by using Radmin viewer, so I could control the other PC from here, but when you start Theatertek from the virtual screen this end it causes an exception and goes tits up at the other end, then I have to go down to the media room and re set the PC.
    I am just puzzled why the guys who wrote TheaterTek gave it a check box to select if you want to use TCIP control, gave it a place to set a port number, hell! even gave it a little gizzmo to start it with, though strangely called it a "Killer" But having done all that the range of control is lousy with no good facility for remote control. I feel it lets down an otherwise excellent product.

Wedgehog,

Thanks for your response. The TToIP Girder plugin which can be downloaded here should work with any standard remote (what key of your remote is associated with which command in TT may need to be customised, but I believe this is also the case with the standard TT Girder scripts, especially for many of the arcane commands which are not usually found on remote controllers).

I don't use Zoomplayer, but I believe that the IP features of ZP and TT are actually quite similar (down to the command codes in quite a few cases!). I'm using the script below and have a VFD display which emulates a DVD Player (showing track, chapter, elapsed time, symbols such as play,pause, stop... disk name, etc). The only thing from your (partial) list which may be missing is the library browser (I use Meedio for this, as I prefer a graphical interface to choosing file names in a list).

While the first set of IP commands (as defined in TT 2.4) had some limitations, I believe that TT 2.5 added what was missing so that an instance of TT can be controled over IP from a remote computer (with Girder running on it). I have never been able to test this configuration as I only have on PC, but will soon have the right set up to confirm that it works (I do know it is possible as the Crestron crowd says it works for them).

In the meantime, here is an updated version of my TToIP Girder 4 script which can now launch TT through the autokiller, and benefit from all the features of TT 2.5

The attached lua script should replace the lua instructions in the TToIP initialization on GirderOpen command. Copy the old version somewhere, and replace it with the code above, then change the IP address in the script to the one of your remote machine

For this code to be able to lauch TT on a remote machine, you should make sure that AutoKiller is already running on the remote machine before running this script (or you'll need to execute Theatertek:AutoKillerInitialize() at some stage before being able to launch TT with: Theatertek:AutoKillerSend(Theatertek.LAUNCH)

I don't have a SONY DVD changer, but in case you have one, you should be able to use the associated AutoKiller functions.

I am planning on upgrading this script so that it will take advantage of the new Girder 5 features in the near future... which means that future versions of the script will require Girder 5 (so beware!)

Let me know if you have any problems with the above.

Eiffel
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank you Francois, I am a bit confused now though. Have you added your new TT2.5 commands to the girder plug in?
    I understand that I have to open the "TToIP initialization on GirderOpen" lua script, and remove the text in there and replace it with the text in the supplied lua file, I have done that. But doesn't the gml have to have your new commands in?

Francois I cannot get this to work in G5 with 2.5 the init does not work it seems to work if tt is up and playing a dvd what am I missing? I get errors in the console.
    Rickd

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast