Thread: PPC NR freeze after the sleeping mode !!

Default PPC NR freeze after the sleeping mode !!

I have the problem that after a longer sleep time NR is freezing on a PPC.
    I read about deleting unused Plugins. Is this still recommended?
    I'm not sure if it's really freezing, from time to time it start running after some time: Up to 2min.
    But it's not usefully like that.

Are there other users how have that problem with the .98 build?
    ---Simon

I had sporadic problems like you describe; ultimately, I decided to just blank the screen automatically after 60 seconds of inactivity, and then changed my power settings to prevent the PPC from ever sleeping. This eliminated the freezes.

Cheers,
    Tim

Is it freezing, or are the button unresponsive (meaning no actions get sent, but the button shows as "down"?)

I now that this answer will not really help you.

Sometimes it's freezing completely, sometimes after pressing a button it shows as "down" and then frezze or it takes up two 2min until NR is running.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

But that's a problem in general. If you use a PPC as RemoteControl where all IR commands are send over WIFI. You can configure the PPC that it will not fall into the sleep mode, than you have the a unusable accu time, and if you don't do that you have to wait until it's wifi connection is ok and then you can send your first command. And that's annoying to, because what are you doing if the phone ring and you have to mute your receiver. wait wait wait...
    or if you want to switch a channel the same problem.
    And IR with PPC don't really satisfied me, to weak, you have to point, ...problems with longer macros. What's happen with the IR Ports of the PPC in the future?

Cool would be a device like the nevo sl, hardkeys like a normal Remote, good IR Performance, WIN CE for all server applications like the audioserver.

Fazit: Perfect system if it's fix wired, but lot's of problems to solve for mobile devices.

What about bluetooth? Is it possible that it build it's connection faster? Use less power? But mabey to slow for the audioserver application.

Any good inputs are welcome.

thanks
    ---Simon

Sometimes it's freezing completely, sometimes after pressing a button it shows as "down" and then frezze or it takes up two 2min until NR is running.
    I saw this same behavior before I stopped letting my PDA sleep.

But that's a problem in general. If you use a PPC as RemoteControl where all IR commands are send over WIFI. You can configure the PPC that it will not fall into the sleep mode, than you have the a unusable accu time,
    I'm not sure what you mean by accu time?

and if you don't do that you have to wait until it's wifi connection is ok and then you can send your first command. And that's annoying to, because what are you doing if the phone ring and you have to mute your receiver. wait wait wait...or if you want to switch a channel the same problem.
    That's why I prevent my PDA from ever sleeping...

And IR with PPC don't really satisfied me, to weak, you have to point, ...problems with longer macros. What's happen with the IR Ports of the PPC in the future?
    Agreed, IR is a poor solution all around.

Cool would be a device like the nevo sl, hardkeys like a normal Remote, good IR Performance, WIN CE for all server applications like the audioserver.
    I like the Nevo hardware as well (though it's a bit big, and its screen is not as nice as the Axims). I have a strong preference for WiFi over IR though -- which the Nevo does have. Unfortunately, the manufacturer of the Nevo was unwilling to share the necessary information to get NetRemote running properly on it... I spoke to the project manager over there, and they want to keep it running their proprietary software, which is inferior to NetRemote.

What about bluetooth? Is it possible that it build it's connection faster? Use less power? But mabey to slow for the audioserver application.
    I believe some folks have experimented with using BlueTooth network connections, but I don't have any personal experience. It's definitely lower powered (and has a correspondingly lower range). The new SideShow remotes are using BlueTooth, though again, they have an inferior set of functionality compared to NetRemote.

Ultimately, I'd like to see a smaller/faster PocketPC with hard-keys similar to the Nevo, a VGA screen (and a GPU to back it up), Wireless-N protocol, a simple charging cradle, and an accelerometer so that it would detect when I picked it up (like the Pronto).

If only there were some PocketPC manufacturers in the NetRemote forums!

Cheers,
    Tim

Code:
    I'm not sure what you mean by accu time?
    sorry: means the batteries of the PPC
    Does the word accu not exits in English?

So you never found out what the problem for the freezing was?

And let us now if you find the "magic" device!
    ---Simon

Ah, battery life! Right; that's where the screen blank comes in. With scrren blanking and an extended battery, my Axim gets through two full-length movies without being on the cradle, and still has juice to spare .

I suspect the freeze is an issue in the code that synchronizes the NetRemote variable states that are kept in Girder with the variable states on the client. I wasn't able to solve it on my end, but hopefully Ben will get a chance to look into it at some point.

Best,
    Tim