Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Trying to comm with Harman Kardon AVR-145????

Default Do Not Use Harman Kardon Receivers!

Hi Rob,

End of story here, after months Ended with a Denon 2308CI and couldn't be more happy.

Harman is just plain junk for automation with it's RS232 port.

Hope this will help others.

Charles

Denon is generally pretty good
    --Rob

Default Harmon is not harmonious with RS232

Don't let the guys at Harmon tell you that there RS232 port works with Crestron beautifly, cause it does not. 4 years later and this AVR-445 is still in production with the same issues as all the threads describe. Had one working with a Crestron processor today, then the AVR just stopped working. Get nothing but garbage back from the AVR's rs232 port. Tried every trick i knew and i am really familiar with controling devices RS232 being that I am a Crestron programmer of 6 years. Never have i come across such a lame protocol since the JVC DVD recorder SR series. Manufacturers act as if their product could never be the problem... Never had a problem controlling a Denon, Marantz, etc.. for the same price as this big silver door stop.
    I can't believe you stuck with the AVR for as long as you did to try and get it to work. I determined after an hour that the AVR was to blame and didn't waste my time any further.

Quote Originally Posted by tres_1tc View Post
    Don't let the guys at Harmon tell you that there RS232 port works with Crestron beautifly, cause it does not. 4 years later and this AVR-445 is still in production with the same issues as all the threads describe. Had one working with a Crestron processor today, then the AVR just stopped working. Get nothing but garbage back from the AVR's rs232 port. Tried every trick i knew and i am really familiar with controling devices RS232 being that I am a Crestron programmer of 6 years. Never have i come across such a lame protocol since the JVC DVD recorder SR series. Manufacturers act as if their product could never be the problem... Never had a problem controlling a Denon, Marantz, etc.. for the same price as this big silver door stop.
    I can't believe you stuck with the AVR for as long as you did to try and get it to work. I determined after an hour that the AVR was to blame and didn't waste my time any further.

Good for you! You are smarter than me or you just have more experience since it was my first RS232 integration without any knowledge about it.

Now I think you understand why I spent so much time trying to make it work....

Charles

Smile HK

Definitely not smarter - maybe a little more experience with RS232... but not smarter

I just hate hearing stories like yours when there are so many products out there that work beautify.
    glad to hear you got the 2308CI - great piece. HDMI is a little sketchy at times but really really great piece of gear.

cheers

Does anybody know if the girder AVR435 plugin can handle more than one receiver. I have 3 of the AVR435 receivers that I would like to control.

I don't think you have limitations as far as the number of device you can use. Just assing them to different COM ports.

Charles

All,

It's odd that you could never get this too work. I have 5 AVR435 working with girder through the serial port using an Edgeport 8. The only difference that I can see if that I have StopBits = 1. I do have a problem though. Everything works except for volume from the serial port.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Greg

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678