Thread: OSD Enhancement - How to start?

Hi!

I am new at girder - i am trying to transform my computer into a "music & video station" ;-) and i think it is important that the user of this device (me) sits on the couch and has nothing to do with windows, buttons and stuff like that.

He should only see a OSD with menu selections like it is on a TV or VCR etc.

Ok, this is much work to do that, but I want to try to start by enhancing the OSD feutures - but I cannot find the source code of an existing plugin.

Could s.o give me a hint, which OSD Plugin is good and send me the sourcecode or upload it so that I can try with it?

Thank you very much,

Greetings
    Sebastian,
    germany

The plugin PopupOSD is programmed using the MFC, after testing Mark found that there was a memory leak in it. I can send you the source ( i think i should upload it anyways) so you can use it as an starting point. But this OSD uses the built in Girder OSD,.. and i think that is not flexible enough. I would advise starting from the ground up. So you have full control over the window.

I'm not a developer but this is exactly the type of feature I was asking for over on the General forum. I would like to press a button on the remote and have an OSD popup with (user customisable) selections that I could choose from (eg TV, DVD, MP3 Jukebox, etc). Girder is great and I think this is a logical extension for it that would give those of us with regular universal remotes almost the same power and flexibility of those with the Philips Pronto without us having to shell out $400USD for it.

One consideration I would give here is that the OSD needs to be able to popup on an overlay screen (as used by games and DVD players, and DirectShow apps) as well as a regular screen.

I would be a willing beta tester for this plugin.

Regards
    Lester

[Edited by lesterjacobs on 04-26-2001 at 07:59 AM GMT]

Add me to the list of people waiting for this feature. I will probably stick to my "Airboard Manager" keyboard's software which has very nice OSD until someone can make a nice looking OSD for Girder.

[Edited by mkanet on 04-27-2001 at 05:31 PM GMT]

Add me to Ron. Girder needs a new OSD however I know your very busy with other things.

P.S. How do you enter the emoticons in a post?

Hi people,

Hmmm,.. seems as though unimatrix doesn't respond,.. hey guy are you out there ?
    The features that you are requesting as so versatile it would be an app in it self to program. I hope to get time to create this but if someone wants to do this PLEASE do so!

Emoticons in a post is easy, click on the "help" on to of this page to learn how!

Regards,
    Ron

I am really glad that enough people have requested this feature to get Ron's attention. Getting OSD support to look like Airboard's OSD or even better would make Girder "look" so much better!

I REALLY wish I knew how to program or I would have done this a long time ago. This feature is the only feature stopping me from using Girder.

It looks like my last post got trashed. I am glad to see that there are enough people out there who want to see a very nice looking OSD such as Airboard's OSD or something even nicer.

I REALLY wish I knew how to create a professional looking OSD for Girder. Ron, we know you are really busy. But perhaps the only way this will be done properly and in a reasonable amount of time would be to add the feature yourself. Once this feature is in place, I will definitely install Girder!

I think this feature is important enough to not even consider it as an "addon" module, but an integrated feature of GIrder.

Hey Guys,.. you don't have to request things with a lot of people before you get my attention,.. if you look at this board you'll see a lot of request by a single person that I implement. If I have time and the feature is usefull I implement it. I have been so busy with college the last few weeks that I just didn't have time to work on Girder. And implementing an OSD as requested often on this board is a BIG ASS job.
    I'm not saying I won't but its difficult. And i have to know exactly what its gonna be before i start,...SO i'm gonna make a new thread on this board Where everyone can discuss what the OSD has to do and what not.
    If you refer to the an other program please send some screenshots or something so i get an idea what you would like.

And about them posts,.. they are usually okay, even if its looks to you that they are messed up,.. give it a few minutes and reload a few times,.. there is something wrong with the server, that is out of my control

Kind regards,
    Ron