Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using NR to Start and Stop Girder

Default Using NR to Start and Stop Girder

Girder4 doesn't seem to reliably function for me upon a resume from S3 standby of the PC it is installed on. I'd like to fix this by exiting Girder as one of the steps I take with NR in placing my HT system into standby and, of course, start the Girder app as a part of the system wake up command set.

My question is how to do this. I can't use Girder to shut itself down and then expect it to be able to execute another step to place the PC into standby following that. I also can't expect Girder to shut itself down after issuing a standby command to the PC (at least I don't think I can).

Any suggestions on how I can do this?

You can use Girder to shut itself down, yes. Use Process Killer, or whatever it's called: http://www.beyondlogic.org/consultin...rocessutil.htm Have Girder execute it "on query suspend", and you're good. The next part I'm not sure about, but there should be something out there that can execute a command on resume. Try a bit of Googling.

But it shouldn't be necessary at all. I have several computers bouncing up and down between S3 and use (since I don't believe in having them running if they're only used an hour or two a day - it saves the environment and my wallet at the same time, which is a perfect combination! ), and have never had any problems what so ever. Can it be a Lua script going bananas? Have you tried disabling plug-ins and scripts until you find what hangs?
    Tor - managing director of the Cinema Inferno home theater and multi-zone sound system with Girder running the show in the back, NetRemote as the GUI and Media Center 17, PowerDVD and ZoomPlayer as playback software
    Hobsyssel mastiffs: http://www.hobsyssel.no

I wonder, how reliably Girder goes out of S3 for ppl around here..
    I had some problems with it - it would just get unresponsive completely and I had to shut/restart it.
    I became paranoid and now I am closing down MC12/MediaBridge/Girder (via G4 OnSuspend event) before the puter goes into S3 and then restart those applications when it awakes..
    Now I wonder if it's really necessary...
    What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by DCKJR View Post
    Girder4 doesn't seem to reliably function for me upon a resume from S3 standby of the PC it is installed on. I'd like to fix this by exiting Girder as one of the steps I take with NR in placing my HT system into standby and, of course, start the Girder app as a part of the system wake up command set.

My question is how to do this. I can't use Girder to shut itself down and then expect it to be able to execute another step to place the PC into standby following that. I also can't expect Girder to shut itself down after issuing a standby command to the PC (at least I don't think I can).

Any suggestions on how I can do this?

My carputer has all those, and it goes into S3 every time we stop the car. So far I haven't had much trouble (maybe once a month, if that). And then it's only MediaBridge not accepting connections from NR. If that happens I have to kill the MB process and restart both that and JRMC. Then it will be back. Nothing has ever happened to Girder, and my wife's a walking Bermuda Triangle for anything computer related, so she would have found the problem a long time ago if there was one!
    Tor - managing director of the Cinema Inferno home theater and multi-zone sound system with Girder running the show in the back, NetRemote as the GUI and Media Center 17, PowerDVD and ZoomPlayer as playback software
    Hobsyssel mastiffs: http://www.hobsyssel.no

Thanks!
    Looks like Girder's been nice to you..
    Mine becomes non-responsive quite often.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastiff View Post
    My carputer has all those, and it goes into S3 every time we stop the car. So far I haven't had much trouble (maybe once a month, if that). And then it's only MediaBridge not accepting connections from NR. If that happens I have to kill the MB process and restart both that and JRMC. Then it will be back. Nothing has ever happened to Girder, and my wife's a walking Bermuda Triangle for anything computer related, so she would have found the problem a long time ago if there was one!

I figured a bodge to get NR to reboot itself. I turned watchdog on and created a script that I could run remotely.

Code:

while GirderBetaTestingEnded == nil do
         --Beta Testing
    end
    It goes into a death loop and locks up... Watchdog sees this and goes "Hold on.. not good!" and then kills the process and restarts Girder.

I have got programs that need starting after girder starts so I created an action that kills all instances of the programs I need running (to stop getting dupes) and then it restarts them.

Watchdog is a good program... I wonder why it isn't used more tbh....
    - John H
    * PROMIXIAN TO THE CORE! * (NetRemote2WholeHomePro + Girder5WholeHomePro + USB-UIRT + Touchscreens + WirelessControlSystems + ANNA) == AutomationHeaven
    - "IthinkI'mgoingtobantheuseofthespacebarinfuture..."

Oh.. Watchdog? I thought it should be something useful but it is listed as a feature of the Corporate version of G5 - is this right?
    I am still on G4..

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMorph View Post
    I figured a bodge to get NR to reboot itself. I turned watchdog on and created a script that I could run remotely.

Code:

while GirderBetaTestingEnded == nil do
         --Beta Testing
    end
    It goes into a death loop and locks up... Watchdog sees this and goes "Hold on.. not good!" and then kills the process and restarts Girder.

I have got programs that need starting after girder starts so I created an action that kills all instances of the programs I need running (to stop getting dupes) and then it restarts them.

Watchdog is a good program... I wonder why it isn't used more tbh....

Well Watchdog is there and available to me in the G5 beta package... dunno about corporate stuff as the help files are way out of alignment now. There is loads of cool stuff under the hood that make G5 awesome but are not documented (like the htmltidy and 'gd' graphics manipulation utilities that I use for mirroring album covers {noR yb enod saw edoc rorrim taht} for example).

If Watchdog is only for corporate then it's not going to make me happy... what happens when my home automation locks up due to a Girder freeze and there is no watchdog to restart it. Watchdog has been running constantlly on my server since I found it... and it's rescued the server several times in the last 24 hours (mainly because I'm throwing a lot of test code at it and it goes wonky occasionally).

Ron, Is Watchdog part of the WHP package?
    - John H
    * PROMIXIAN TO THE CORE! * (NetRemote2WholeHomePro + Girder5WholeHomePro + USB-UIRT + Touchscreens + WirelessControlSystems + ANNA) == AutomationHeaven
    - "IthinkI'mgoingtobantheuseofthespacebarinfuture..."

bump..
    Will the Watchdog be really available only for the Enterprise version? The $499.99 one?

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMorph View Post
    Ron, Is Watchdog part of the WHP package?

That one's a question for Ron (I'm actually not sure myself). He checks this forum periodically, but you'll probably get a faster answer in the Girder forum or by mailing support at promixis dot com.

Best,
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast