Thread: NR win client hangs across network - NForce chipset

Default NR win client hangs across network - NForce chipset

I have an HTPC (winxp sp2) with media bridge controlling iTunes. The iTunes library has only a few files inside (<20). I can run the NR client on the machine with the mediabridge and it works fine.

I have a laptop (winxp sp2) on a wired ethernet connection upon which I installed the NR client. I pointed it at the server and it shows as connected in the Current Clients list of mediabridge.

I can't control the mediabridge from the laptop. I can't browse the library, it just hangs showing (Loading...)

Every so often (5 to 10 seconds) the client hops ports. By this I mean, briefly a second client (same IP, next sequential port) appears so that there are two in the list. Then the first client disappears. The headphones in the systray mostly stay yellow, but flash green when the first client disappears, then turn back yellow. It hangs this way indefinitely.

I've not yet tried to get this working on any other clients.

Please help!

Thanks,
    Gerald

OK, I installed a mediabridge on the laptop. I can control it from NR on the other PC as well as the PPC.

So... looks like something is making media bridge unhappy on the server.

Ideas?

NVidia nForce chipset by any chance?
    --Rob

uhhh, yep. nForce 4 Ultra on an Abit AN8 Ultra.

I found a post where somebody mentioned switching the drivers to the ones that came with their mobo instead of using nVidias drivers. So, I just now swapped them out and it seems to be working.

A passing reference to nvidia chipsets causing problems was mentioned in several threads. If there is a way to change the name of this thread to something like "problems with nvidia chipsets" and sticky it, maybe it might be helpful to others?

Thanks,
    Gerald

Nvidia Nforce3 does the same thing. NetRemote connects to MediaBridge. Nothing works. I couldn't find any newer drivers than the ones installed so I disabled the onboard NIC and installed a separate 3Com card. Everything works fine now.