Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: advice on adding activity transitions

Default advice on adding activity transitions

I am using NR/NRD without Girder. I would like to add a "please wait" transition while my activity macros are processing. It seems from what I have read and tried that I cannot use a multiple jump technique (like with pronto). I guess that I could use some sort of an animation, but I am not sure how to do this.

Can you tell me what my best option is.

I was also wondering if I can make a volume slider with my global cache rs232 Sunfire receiver, and If so could I do that without Girder only using NR/NRD.

Thanks,

Kaeton

You could use a hidden frame that gets shown when you want the user to wait. I'd probably put it on the device template overlay so that it's available to all device pages and is guaranteed to appear on top.

You could add an animation to it of course.

In theory it may be possible to do what you want with the sunfire receiver, but it wouldn't be fun.
    --Rob

Rob,

Thanks for the reply. Any advice on how to set up the hidden frame. I have been all through the tutorials, instructions and even tried to break down some of the posted ccfs.

Could you give me a quick list of instructions or at least point me in the direction of instructions on how to do this somewhere.

Thanks,

Kaeton

I had exactly the same issue when I was migrating from Pronto to NetRemote. I currently have a frame for a loading bar, with four states controlled by a state variable. This frame is normally hidden, but I update the state from Girder as the macro is running, which causes the various stages of the loading bar to appear.

It should be possible to do the same thing from NetRemote alone using a LUA script, but the trick will be triggering the screen refresh -- you can't just change the state values within the button's action list, because I don't think that will trigger the repaint. Instead, I would experiement with changing the value of a variable, which is watched by your lua script. When your lua script detects that change in state, it could set timers to change the state of the variable that your hidden frame is dependent on. I *think* this will enable the repaint.

I agree with Rob about the volume... that one would be challenging without Girder... really, that's exactly the sort of application where Girder comes in handy, providing back-end processing.

Best,
    Tim

You should just be able to set the relevant NetRemote variable (using NetRemote.SetVariable) and the screen should refresh.

Or you can use my FramePopups code if you want something a bit more flexible.

The basic idea is to give the frame two states one of which is invisible (the default state), and the other of which is dependent on a NetRemote variable having the value 1.

You can hide or show that frame by calling NetRemote.SetVariable('mystate', 1) or NetRemote.SetVariable('mystate', 0).

If you use FramePopups (see the help) then you can get the frame to disappear after a timeout.
    --Rob

Thanks for the help so far,

Rob, I am trying to use your FramePopups, as well as the PopupDemo config. Each time I try to follow the directions for FramePopup or just try to run PopupDemo with NR, I get this error

"1: attempt to index global 'FramePopup' (a nill value)"

Am I missing something.

Thanks,

Kaeton

You need to add the line

Code:
    require "FramePopups"
    To the start of your CCF's system lua file.
    --Rob

Thanks Rob,

That worked. But when I try to put the "execute lua code on release" (the same way that the popupdemo ccf uses it) on a button that has aliasis to other buttons and a jump to another page, It wont work.

If I have a button with just the "execute lua code on release" it works fine.

Any suggestions?

Kaeton

It is not the alias commands that are the problem. It is the jump command.

Ive tried delays which don't work, every combination of the order that everything is in, nothing works. The lua call seems to be ignored if there is a jump on the same button. I even tried putting the variable to 1 using a "set variable to value" command and making the visible state when it is equal to 1. That didn't work either.

Am I crazy or isn't what I am trying to do (Make a wait transition between activities using only NR) a very common thing. I would imagine that everyone using NR for a universal remote solution would do this.

I would imagine that I could write a lua function that would first call the framepopup and then jump to the desired page. And that I could do this for each activity. Sounds like more work than is needed, but if this is the only solution could someone tell me how to write a lua function for jumping pages.

Any help would be appreciated, this is the last thing I need to finish my NR design.

Thank You,

Kaeton

Do you want the jump to occur when the transition frame closes?

If so then you could do this in Lua using the OnHide handler for the frame popup with a NetRemote.GoDevice() call
    --Rob

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast