Thread: FAO Rob and Tim: Slidetest.ccf

Exclamation FAO Rob and Tim: Slidetest.ccf

Rob I just went back to your slidetest example and found a wierd bug.

Load up the ccf and go to the "Basic" page with 8 sliders on. Click the center button twice about half a second apart. The slide panels go hiccuppy and then open fully... and stick there! You can't close them at all, not by the center button or the individual buttons.

You can go back to the home menu and return to the "Basic" page and they do move open again but still won't close. You have to reload the CCF to get it to work properly. Something is obviously getting confused as to where the sliders are.

Hey, we should start a competition to see who finds the most bugs!

FYI, I've posted the slidetest.ccf for others to check out.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by NeoMorph; November 3rd, 2007 at 10:59 AM.
    - John H
    * PROMIXIAN TO THE CORE! * (NetRemote2WholeHomePro + Girder5WholeHomePro + USB-UIRT + Touchscreens + WirelessControlSystems + ANNA) == AutomationHeaven
    - "IthinkI'mgoingtobantheuseofthespacebarinfuture..."

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMorph View Post
    Hey, we should start a competition to see who finds the most bugs!
    How about we start one with the winner being the person who fixes the most.
    XP + G4 + Lua = :)

Quote Originally Posted by theguywiththefunnyhair View Post
    How about we start one with the winner being the person who fixes the most.
    I break 'em... you fix 'em

My big problem is that I keep banging my head against incomplete (like some of the Lua-gd commands being missing) or bug affected base code (like the sliding frame code) as I try to do workarounds. It's like not having a map and going down one alley and finding it's blocked... backing up and going down another ally and finding there is a big hole in the road... then trying another alley and finding that there is a locked door. No map (current documentation) is making it really frustrating so I try to find as many bugs as possible in an attempt at getting the base code fixed so that we can hopefully get out of beta and see the documentation sooner.

I think it's probably because I'm trying to do fancy stuff and NR2 isn't quite ready for it yet...
    - John H
    * PROMIXIAN TO THE CORE! * (NetRemote2WholeHomePro + Girder5WholeHomePro + USB-UIRT + Touchscreens + WirelessControlSystems + ANNA) == AutomationHeaven

I know what your referring to John, i've been down that same alley myself and i know how frustrating it is.

I applaud your perseverance.
    XP + G4 + Lua = :)

Quote Originally Posted by theguywiththefunnyhair View Post
    I know what your referring to John, i've been down that same alley myself and i know how frustrating it is.

I applaud your perseverance.
    That perseverance came to an end this morning after adding an animated gif to a panel and having it refuse to appear.

I've decided that I'm not doing any more development until NR2/NRD gets released because I've not made hardly any progress in the last week. Most of my time is wasted trying to figure out why something doesn't work only to find it's due to yet another bug in the program and I'm not getting paid to bugtest someone elses code. I've paid for the software yet it's obvious it's not ready even with the "pre-release" tag making it seem that it's all but finished. I've not gone a single day without hitting at least one bug or problem due to no documentation or inadequate ones.

In my honest opinion doing dev work on two seperate packages at once is ok for a large company but not for small ones like Promixis. They should have concentrated on one package and then finished it before moving onto the other...

So I'm going to just tidy up the code I have and then uninstall NRD to stop me from tinkering until it NR2/Girder get's released. When the system is stable I'll restart development but until then it's not worth it as I'm just wasting my time.

It's annoying because I can see so much promise in the code yet can't fulfill it... It's not like I'm trying to do really complicated stuff either... All I've been trying to do is to add visual indicators to my panels that show what's going on..

Oh well at least it will shut me up until next spring.
    - John H

Thanks for all your support over the past several months; we'll look forward to having you back at some point down the road.

Best,
    Tim

Thumbs up My Subconscious is definitely a better programmer...

Tim, I'd like to clear one thing up... I still have great hopes NR and Girder and for what I want to accomplish with them... they really are great stuff when they work... but I suffer from depression (especially in winter and when the light levels drop I get Season Affected Disorder - SAD) which is making every failure seem like a road block and ten to one hundred times worse than it is. I'm also your classic manic/depressive... when everything is going great I'm on a sky high but when it goes wrong it's like the end of the universe... and it's all down to this living with pain 24/7.

I've been trying to get that green oval to work... normal method failed so I tried others... I tried animated gif.. same problem... Tried doing flash but the fact you can't put stuff on top has put paid to that. What I could do is do the entire remote section in Flash (or SwishMax which is what I've been using) but I don't know how to do controls like that... yet. I tried recreating the graphics from scratch... still problematic... I then said stuff animation and just made one red and one green and when the xbox goes offline the red one appears. Not exactly what I want but it sort of works.

For the number of guys developing NR and Girder you have done bloody wonders but being a small company it's taking that much longer to nail the buglists down. I understand this but sometimes I feel like I've paid for something that doesn't work and feel cheated somehow. It's a bit like buying a car and finding out that it doesn't come with any seats but they will be "built soon" (HID wrapper eh Rob heh) and that the all singing and dancing radio turns on but the volume button has problems and it is stuck at level 1 and that it has fifty buttons but only ten have labels on them. (no current documentation).

Now other times (most of them in fact) I think "Damn, this software is bloody brilliant!" and I feel that it's like being in a science fiction story to be able to control my home from a single computer screen and the power of Lua mixed in with NetRemote and Girder is awesome. If it hadn't been for Rob educating me in how to use Listmanager I would have given up and written off NR totally and just used Girder and made my own front end in VB.

The various setbacks what with the graphics problems etc just add up and it gets frustrating not knowing who is at fault... when it fails it's hard to tell if the bug is with my code or with Promixis and that's where I found myself earlier when I declared that I was finally giving up scripting....

But then the classic NeoMorph effect comes to the fore... I find when I give up something comes unstuck in my brain and then when I take a snooze after taking my painkillers I find solutions to many problems while I sleep. It's like I try too hard and fail and then I give up... and in doing so it allows my subconscious to solve the problem. I wake up and find that I've scribbled solutions in the notebook that I keep next to the bed.

OK, sometimes I wake to find I've written stuff that is so Zen that its spooky as hell. Like this one that I wrote after the solution to the graphic problems...

remember to forget the local variables to save it or it probably won't appear
    God knows what that was about... If anyone has any ideas give me a shout.

But just look at what I've got working now (click on image for full size)....

Some of it is a bodge but it's better and cleaner than it was. Once the bugs get ironed out... In the meantime the offline animation I've added isn't the remote area but the nice square areas that take flash fine... namely the listing area and the album cover area...

As the saying goes, "If it's stupid and it works, it ain't stupid!" and the stupid fixes has now got my remote ovals showing up now. It's a way around the vanishing oval and how did I do it.... I put the initial oval on the background frame instead of floating... and the red halo actually includes part of the remote graphic as well instead of being just a semi-transparent halo. Dunno why it works right but it does.

The result is that I can clearly see that the xbox is turned off now... I just need something similar for my amplifier now and that's another of Rob's packages that I'm waiting for... the Denon receiver serial plugin.

So I haven't given up... I'll still be doing the eye-candy for my panel... I'm just not doing any scripting until the next release. I just hope the animated gif problem gets identified soon and fixed for the next release. In the meantime I'll be just making the interface as nice and clear as possible.

So keep on bugblasting... I'm still rooting for you guys and I'm still going to post any bugs that I find. That way at least I can do my bit to help reduce the buggers... err... I mean bugs..

Oh and why am I so mellow and verbose? It's because I've started my winter drugs regime and am so doped up now I've been typing the last four paragraphs with my eyes closed. No pain is sooooooooooooo darned good. Oh well, I was a child of the 60's so I' just doing some trippyhippy thing
    - John H

No worries; we're glad to have you using NetRemote and Girder!

As a NetRemote user myself, I run into the same frustrations, so I totally understand where you're coming from. It drives me insane to come up with a cool idea for my CCF, hit a road-block, and patiently try a work-around only to discover that even the work-around has a road-block.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), there was a TON of functionality implemented in NetRemote, but it wasn't fully exercised by the sample CCF's. As a result, there are a myriad of issues that advanced users run into, causing the most dedicated to suffer the most hair-pulling, which is definitely not the way it should be.

I'm really committed to ironing everything out, and as I get more and more familiar with the codebase, I'll be able to turn around fixes faster. To date, I've been somewhat time-limited, but that will improve in the coming weeks, and hopefully Ron will be able to start joining the fray on the NetRemote side as well.

Anyhow, thanks for your understanding, and great work on the CCF -- inspiring to see what you're accomplishing!

Best,
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tmorten View Post
    Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), there was a TON of functionality implemented in NetRemote, but it wasn't fully exercised by the sample CCF's. As a result, there are a myriad of issues that advanced users run into, causing the most dedicated to suffer the most hair-pulling, which is definitely not the way it should be.
    Tell me about it. Some of the methods used by the example ccf's don't match what the docs tell you to do. Add to the info that Rob has let out regarding undocumented stuff in NR2 makes programmers like me want play but not knowing how is a pain. It's like driving a compact car but know there is a button on the dash that will enable the turbocharged, nitrous injected engine... but having no instruction have led me to keep hitting the engine cutout instead heh.

"I wanna go faster... I wanna go faster... press the turbo... DOH!... STALLED AGAIN!"
    Quote Originally Posted by tmorten View Post
    I'm really committed to ironing everything out, and as I get more and more familiar with the codebase, I'll be able to turn around fixes faster. To date, I've been somewhat time-limited, but that will improve in the coming weeks, and hopefully Ron will be able to start joining the fray on the NetRemote side as well.

Anyhow, thanks for your understanding, and great work on the CCF -- inspiring to see what you're accomplishing!
    It's nice to know that Tim... and yeah, that panel of mine looks simple but it's the equivalent of a MediaBridge plugin done from scratch. I've made some decent progress thanks to you guys. If it wasn't for Rob helping me with Lua I wouldn't be even half close to finishing the core... Add to that I had to code in the following languages to get it working...

• Dumbed down ASP (the bit of code I had to add to the xbox itself that enables it to communicate with Girder). It's only a small program but it was the easiest part of the project.
    • VB6/VB.Net (efficient Pinging program to check the xbox is online and Nad's Listener program to update the song info only when it changes on the xbox {Nad is one of the XBMC programmers who has added custom code to XBMC itself that has made this panel possible}). The ping program is basically sitting there while I wait for Rob to complete the HID wrapper so I can complete the joypad to Girder interfaces (along with the hardware tutorials I promised Ron a while back).
    • Lua - A language I badly underestimated a few months ago when I started this project. I'm getting better every day I have problems... I've always said you learn more from failures than by successes. I should be a freakin' genius by now then .
    • Flash - Actually SwishMax which is a utility that outputs Flash movies.
    • NetRemote and Girder (obvious) The code that has changed my life...
    • XML and HTML scraping (for music information like artist bios) Thanks to other users here I learned about how to scrape info from other sites. I have to admit I thought I'd never understand scraping but I've written my own ones for my panels thanks to the help I received here.
    It's got a long way to go but at least the core is working now. It's just things like the animation that will have to wait until the bugs are ironed out. One of the things I want to do have an album cover page where you can tap the cover and it flips over to show the back. It's a shame NR doesn't have 3d support... maybe something to think for in NR3 possibly. Just look at Winamp Modern skins where they animate will make realise what I'm looking to achieve. Having frames that animate smoothly is one target that I hope you achieve.

Oops... gone slightly off-topic here I think.
    - John H

Should have realised why I've been feeling so cranky...

Aches & Pains Index:Tonight6 Moderate
    I always feel bad 24-48 hours before a rough pain day... My pain index is usually at least 2 points above the pain index on the weather site so that's the equivalent to "8 High" for me.

That explains why I'm feeling like... *CENSORED*
    - John H