Thread: iPhone and iPod Touch home automation Control!

Default iPhone and iPod Touch home automation Control!

We've build a new front end for the Device Manager for the iPhone and iPod touch closely following the iPhone interface guidelines. Have a look!
    Low Resolution Instruction Video (YouTube)
    HI-Res Instruction Video.

Files are here:
    Girder 5 iPod - iPhone Addition

Last edited by Ron; December 16th, 2007 at 10:47 PM.
    Ron
    No support through PM

Someone's been busy!
    --Rob

_VERY_ busy :-)
    Ron
    No support through PM

Default You bastard Ron!

How the hell am I supposed to resist rushing out and buying one of these now? I thought at least we'd have to wait for Apple to release an SDK before home automation appeared on the Smartphone/Touch and then some showoff comes along and does it all in Web2.0!

Seriously though - this looks really amazing - I had no idea you could exploit the touch UI from Web2.0 in this way - can you do multi-touch gestures like zooming and rotation?

Cannot see those over-priced dedicated automation screens/remotes lasting much longer when you can do all this on a cheep Touch! In fact, I'm wondering how difficult it would be to gut a touch and mount it on a wall panel?

Argg... willpower... seeping... away!

Looks awesome doesn't it

We cannot do multi-touch, rotation is supported. (This is dictated by the web browser limitations).
    Ron
    No support through PM

I already succumbed to this after seeing the demo. I love the iPod Touch though, so it was well worth it
    --Rob

Apple should contract us for it's Marketing needs
    Ron
    No support through PM

I must admit to a dangerous Apple-ward drift on my part (I just bought an Apple keyboard for my PC!). You've gotta love their design skills, but their control-freakery and addiction to closed systems has put me off up to now. I resisted the iPhone (it is even more hobbled by bad contracts and lack of 3G here in the UK), and the Touch I had resolved to put off until the second generation at least when hopefully it would have some programmability. And would it have killed them to include a mini or micro SD slot so there was some expandability?

But Ron has just demonstrated that you can actually program to the thing despite Apple's best attempts to stop you. I wonder could a Web2.0 app be run from its local memory?

Safari does not allow you to load web pages of the local filesystem (without hacking).

Note that the Promixis Automation Video above uses a plain vanilla, un-hacked, straight from the factory iPod Touch. No hacking needed for our system.
    Ron
    No support through PM