Thread: Font size and rendering issues

Default Font size and rendering issues

I've recently noticed that NRD and NR render the same text in different sizes.

NR seems to render text at about one point size below the requested size. NRD however seems to render text with more than the normal intercharacter spacing than in say Wordpad or Textpad.

Here are some screenshots that demonstrate this. In the third one - the pink one - the text on the left is from NRD and on the right from NR - this is supposedly 8 pt Courier New. The other two are in 10 and 11 pt Courier New.

Something is wrong here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image-0001.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	4390   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image-0002.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	4391   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image-0003.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	4392  
    --Rob

Rob I do know that NRD isn't WYSIWYG... In fact to the point that aligning stuff up was rather confusing in that it aligned in NRD but not in NR itself. Perhaps this text sizing problem is also responsible for that problem as well.

Edit: Oh btw... those "different colored backgrounds" look the same to me... god I hate partial colour blindness!
    Last edited by NeoMorph; December 20th, 2007 at 06:56 PM.
    - John H
    * PROMIXIAN TO THE CORE! * (NetRemote2WholeHomePro + Girder5WholeHomePro + USB-UIRT + Touchscreens + WirelessControlSystems + ANNA) == AutomationHeaven
    - "IthinkI'mgoingtobantheuseofthespacebarinfuture..."

Ah, good point about the colours - I'll see what I can do about that
    --Rob

Unhappy

I've been investigating this issue - it appears to be a bug in the .Net DrawString and MeasureString methods. ie they don't work correctly, particularly with fixed-width fonts

See http://www.codeproject.com/KB/GDI-plus/articlefour.aspx for more information on the problem if anyone is really interested.
    --Rob

Rob,

I've always found the font size differences between NRD and NR a bit of a pain. I always have to guess about what the text will look like and iterate until I get what I want. It would certainly be an improvement if this were fixed.

Peter

I wouldn't hold your breath for a fix on this one, unless perhaps we can use the exact same rendering code in NRD as NR which may just be possible.
    --Rob