Thread: Touch Screen Menus

Smile Touch Screen Menus

I am totally new to Girder and would like to know if it allows you to create touch screen buttons that can be used to steer through menus and start applications. Also, can it use jpegs or other picture types of your own creation as the 'hot buttons'.
    Last edited by Gadget_Dream; March 27th, 2008 at 12:01 PM. Reason: typo and clarification

The program you are looking for is NetRemote, also by Promixis. It's the front end for Girder. NetRemote2, on it's own, can operate your audio and video equipment -- but for more powerful features including home automation, you'll need Girder as well.
    Beware of the robot.

Default Followup Question:

quixote: Thanks very much for the tip. From what I've read, Girder has some truly amazing applications.

Will 'net remote' allow me to setup applications which will place simple 'buttons' on the screen - outside of the context of buttons that are part of something that looks like a 'remote' control ?

For example, I would like to have a screen that has buttons for different music genres - 'BLUES' 'CLASSIC ROCK' 'METAL', etc. If one is pressed a macro would load a playlist into Music Match Jukebox, and begin playing it ?

Also, can I use it to start non-media applications, such as to load a map file and start a street atlas program ? Can it add/modify the graphical interface of other applications, like add a macro button bar along the bottom or side of the screen that adds functions/macro-keys to the application ?

I've only just started playing around with NR2, so I'm not an expert. I can tell you that you are able to place any sort of button that you can design (in certain file formats, of course) into your NR2 GUI and use them for many different functions. I use Girder mostly, so currently I just have buttons that send events to Girder 5 and it handles the work.
    I don't think that Music Match Jukebox is covered, but there is a little program called MediaBridge that is included with NR that allows you to communicate with various media players. Being mostly from the Girder camp, I can tell you that you could almost certainly accomplish your playlist loading with Girder and use NR to show the menu, but I don't know if you could do that with only NR if you're using Music Match. Someone else will have to answer that. Perhaps you could post that question in the appropriate forum section for the NetRemote aficionados.
    As for non-media applications, I think that NR is mostly for media and web. If you want to be a power-user, you'll need both Girder and NR2. I suggest that you download and try out the free trials (including NR designer). The learning curve is a little steep, but once you figure it out, you'll be hooked. It's like being a wizard in your home.
    Good Luck.

P.S.- You'd probably have a much easier time loading playlists with J. River Media Center 12, from what I've read.
    Beware of the robot.