Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Device Manager Device Retype

Default Device Manager Device Retype

Is there a mechanism in place to let a provider know that a device has been retyped in the Device Manager Type tab?
    Rick

Girder 6.0 - Elk M1 Gold - JRMC 11.1 w/ M-Audio Delta 410 - NetRemote - BlueIris DVR
    Girder 6 Plugins - Elk M1/EZ8, Pushover Connector and more on the way.

Visit My Showcase

I'm trying to understand what you are trying to do. Can you explain? According to DeviceRetyping.lua it should be "change opaque to the provider."

This means that we cannot subclass a device and put intelligence in it. This is a rather unlucky choice i.m.o. but for this major rev of Girder we are stuck with it.
    Ron
    No support through PM

The lighting devices that are added to the DM from the Elk plugin are experiencing occasional problems. Since the Elk does not provide device type, dimmer or switch, the user has to make those changes. Occasionally these changes are being set back to dimmer without the users knowledge causing problems. If when a device is retyped there is an event generated indicating that the type has changed then I could keep track of the changes internally to the Elk plugin and make sure they are used.
    Rick

Girder 6.0 - Elk M1 Gold - JRMC 11.1 w/ M-Audio Delta 410 - NetRemote - BlueIris DVR

Visit My Showcase

Right, I believe I worked on this with Phon33z.

Did he relay his findings? I believe the re-retyping happens when the ELK re-exports a device loosing the retyping. The Elk appears to resend it's devices when the management application connects to the Elk. Have you been able to confirm/deny this?
    Ron
    No support through PM

Yes, while the plugin is communicating, if the ElkRP software connects the Elk will notify the plugin. Once the ElkRP software disconnects the plugin will be notified. At that time I essentially restart the plugin so that it will rediscover any changes. It appears that when I do this, the DM is removing all instances of the devices and the changed settings. When discovery completes the devices are added without the retyping saved.

In the component file I use this to accomplish reloading of the plugin. I suspect this is the cause of the problem.

Code:
        InstanceEventHandler = function (self,Instance,Event,...)
            --print (ComponentManager.Component.Events.Update,Instance.Name,Event,unpack (arg))
            if Event == "ProgramModeExit" then
                local settings = self:GetInstanceSetting({Name = Instance.Name})
                self:RemoveInstanceSetting(settings)
                self:AddInstanceSetting(settings)
            else
                self:Event (ComponentManager.Component.Events.Update,Instance,Event,unpack (arg))
            end
        end,
    Rick

Visit My Showcase

Any comments? I believe this to be the cause of the problem.

Any suggestions on fixing this?
    Rick

Visit My Showcase

Can you check if a device exists already and then not re-publish it.
    Ron
    No support through PM

What I believe is happening is that the devices are being removed from the DM completely. As a result when the plugin reloads, DM sees the devices has brand new devices. I have done some minor testing and have noticed that the devices are also being removed from the LocalDevices.cfg file, which stores the typing info.

The same thing happens if I just disable the plugin from the Component Manager.
    Rick

Visit My Showcase

I see. That's not a brilliant way of storing retyping. I'll see what I can do.
    Ron
    No support through PM

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I see. That's not a brilliant way of storing retyping. I'll see what I can do.
    Any word on this. Every time I add a device to the Elk and rerun Girder I have to go and reset all the non dimmer devices. Kind of a pain

Thanks
    John

Now Playing skin creator

Girder 5.0 / Elk-M1EZ8 / Ocelot / SECU-16IR /SECU-16I / SECU-16 / BobCat Humidity
    JRMC 11.1 / M-Audio Delta 410 / Xitel HIFI Pro / Xitel HIFI Link
    NetRemote 2.0 / 6 Zone whole house audio delivering 1580 watts RMS total
    ELO 15" Touchscreen, Nokia 770 and Advent 3500PC Mobile PC 7" TS
    Droid 2 Global

Click here to visit my Nowplaying Showcase Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast