Thread: Will Girder Ever Run Under Linux?

Question Will Girder Ever Run Under Linux?

I'm not experienced with Linux atm but I understand it runs a lot faster than bloated old XP ever does. As I'm trying to be more and more green I would have thought Linux would be the way to go and use something like a 1GHz machine as a central brain as it were.

I'm currently running it on a Jetway J7F5M Fanless 1.2GHz C7 VGA+DVI Motherboard and regularly see the CPU spike to 100% when running something stupidly simple as playing music (and yes I have the up-to-date drivers). I've a feeling the remote commands being delayed have been due to this. I'm just reinstalling XP to see if I can sort out the performance hits.
    - John H
    * PROMIXIAN TO THE CORE! * (NetRemote2WholeHomePro + Girder5WholeHomePro + USB-UIRT + Touchscreens + WirelessControlSystems + ANNA) == AutomationHeaven
    - "IthinkI'mgoingtobantheuseofthespacebarinfuture..."

Someday it will, currently we are focused on more hardware support.
    Ron
    No support through PM

Cool Ron... Was only wondering. I don't think you know how much NR/Girder has helped me in just the last year and I'm looking at future embedded systems now that solid state disks are actually coming down in price. They aren't comparible to the standard hard disks but then Winchester prices didn't come down that fast either.
    - John H
    * PROMIXIAN TO THE CORE! * (NetRemote2WholeHomePro + Girder5WholeHomePro + USB-UIRT + Touchscreens + WirelessControlSystems + ANNA) == AutomationHeaven
    - "IthinkI'mgoingtobantheuseofthespacebarinfuture..."

I tried it in Linux Ubuntu 8.10 using Crossover Professional, but it doesn't seem to work.

Disclaimer: I just installed Linux and Crossover the other week and still more or less have no idea what I'm doing.

I'll probably post in the Crossover forum and see what they have to say about it.
    Beware of the robot.

Does any one know if this would run on a virtual XP mc running on Ubuntu.... I am currently running XP but want to change to Ubuntu and girder is the only remaining obstacle.

Just to add to the discussion, it didn't run in Wine when a tried a while back. I was thinking I might try VMware, but never got around to it. Girder is the only reason I haven't gone 100% Ubuntu in the office.

Thanks,
    MR

Ubuntu is the future.
    Beware of the robot.

Ubuntu is great, it does a lot of useful work at the office! And one day,... :-)
    Ron
    No support through PM

is...'one day' here yet?
    some people learn by writing, some by reading, some by listening and some by doing?...me I'm not learning at all

Well sort of

Girder will not run on Linux in the foreseeable future, however PEAC does run on Linux (and windows).

http://www.promixis.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20437
    Ron
    No support through PM