Thread: Confused about Insteon PLM versions

Default Confused about Insteon PLM versions

It's really hard to figure out where the new "Houselinc 2-enabled Insteon Powerlinc USB" that Smarthome has just sent me fits into with Girder 5 support.

In fact, I can't tell if this thing is a "PLC" or a "PLM", it's maddening.

Let me explain. I had an "Insteon Powerlinc USB" and was running HouseLinc 1, and had purchased Girder 5. When running either Girder 5 or HouseLinc 1 software, I believe in the system tray there was this "Smarthome Device Manager" (if memory serves, I haven't used it in months and lost my memory because of a new baby and no sleep).

I then ordered the recently (weeks?) released HouseLinc 2 software and it came with the new PowerLinc USB. When I run HouseLinc 2, there's no "Smarthome Device Manager" or anything else in the system tray. I suppose this is great news, but will Girder 5 support this thing now?

Thanks, I'm royally confused.

Odi

Odi,

I *think* that the original powerlinc you had was a PLC. This worked with the Smarthome device manager. Well, sort of worked. The PLC had lots of problems. And the software, frankly, sucks.

The PLM (Powerlinc Modem) is more recent. This is a resonable and reliable device.

I understand that the new Houselinc comes with a USB version of this device and that it shows up as a serial port. If so, my Insteon PLM component *might* work with it. I may need to make a few small changes - not entirely sure.

Posted in your main thread ("Insteon PLM Component") -- thanks.