Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 keyboard problem

Default Windows 7 keyboard problem

Wel, it's back. And this time with a bit more bells, whistles and stability. I'm actually using W7 as my primary working OS right now! And Girder, for the most part, behaves very nicely. But I have one annoyance, and I'm sure I mentioned this when I played around with the first pre-beta (which I had to stop using because it didn't have driver support for my Toshiba Dyadock with DVI over USB2, which I need when I work): After a while the keyboard stops receiving events. Nothing in the logger, nothing gets triggered. Of course I have found a way around it (I'm dumb, but persistent!), with this short script that I run from a shortcut on the start menu:
    Code:
    gir.DisablePlugin(202)
    win.Sleep(500)
    gir.EnablePlugin(202)
    So I just disable the keyboard plugin and reenable it. Works every time...for a while. I'm pretty sure this is related to the amount of keystrokes Girder has recieved. When I'm working in one way, which doesn't use Girder much, but uses the keyboard just as much, it takes a long time (can take hours) until the plugin gets unresponsive. But when I work the way that's really using Girder commands (where all my function keys are remapped via Girder, and they're hit maybe 4-5 times every minute) it only takes 5-10 minutes before the plugin goes the way of the dodo. Does this give anybody any ideas as to what this may be?
    Tor - managing director of the Cinema Inferno home theater and multi-zone sound system with Girder running the show in the back, NetRemote as the GUI and Media Center 17, PowerDVD and ZoomPlayer as playback software
    Hobsyssel mastiffs: http://www.hobsyssel.no

hahaha! That's just like you, Mastiff... always have to be on the bleeding edge, don't you?
    I think I'll wait for the sacrificial lambs to run through the gauntlet this time and see how it goes before I jump in (after my experience with vista).
    Beware of the robot.

Actually this is small potatoes compared to the real bleeding edge: Trying to upgrade Windows 98 to Windows ME in 2000! And I feel pretty good. Especially since I have full backups of all my MP3's in case I should be stupid enough to edit the tags (which I'm not anyway...). That's the most amusing bug so far. Well, at least amusing to the anal backupers like me!

As for 7 versus Vista I think somebody called this "Windows Fixeda", and that's pretty well said. I too was on the Vista beta bandwagon, but I never ever considered using it on a production computer. I still don't...except for my notebook, which hasn't got very good power management in XP. But this one... I'm gonna install it on my son's gaming rig this weekend. He has pestered me about it for a week now, after he saw how cool it looks and read how well it runs games. Of course I'll have full image backups of everything, so he can get back to Windows 2K3 @ workstation, which he normally uses (much more stable and even faster in most games than XP). But my hunch is that next weekend will be spent on upgrading my daughter as well!

Edit: Funny way of saying it! I'll leave it, but I will say that I do mean upgrading my daughter's computer. I don't plan on upgrading my daughter any time soon. Maybe I'll consider a few service packs for my wife, though...
    Last edited by Mastiff; January 7th, 2009 at 04:51 PM.
    Tor - managing director of the Cinema Inferno home theater and multi-zone sound system with Girder running the show in the back, NetRemote as the GUI and Media Center 17, PowerDVD and ZoomPlayer as playback software

Be careful with the service packs. http://www.estimated.com/html/body_wife_2_0.html

Oldie, but goodie! I may consider minor fixes...

Nothing? Not even a vague "we'll get to that some day"? And this is actually the only bug I have found so far after several weeks on Windows 7...so with this fixed you could call Girder "fully Windows 7 compatible"!

I'm sure this will be looked at - both Ron and I have downloaded the beta now - not sure if Ron has had a chance to install it anywhere yet - but I've not had much of a chance to play with it yet.

Ron was speculating that W7 may have unloaded the keyboard hook that Girder installs if Girder has become unresponsive - e.g. it's busy doing something processor intensive
    Last edited by Rob H; January 17th, 2009 at 05:38 AM.
    --Rob

Or Windows 7 is still in beta and MS has made a boo-boo.
    Ron
    No support through PM

Yeah, that's always a possibility. But that's the only keyboard anomaly I have seen (and I use the keyboard around 9-12 hours a day every day). I have tried to overload anything else, but I was able to run comserver commands (doing nothing but printing Test in the Lua window) every half second for five hours on end. So I think it's only the keyboard. Is it possible to block unloading of that keyboard hook as a test? Of course something else may go horribly wrong, it's me, after all...

Default Windows 7 Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Mastiff View Post
    Yeah, that's always a possibility. But that's the only keyboard anomaly I have seen (and I use the keyboard around 9-12 hours a day every day). I have tried to overload anything else, but I was able to run comserver commands (doing nothing but printing Test in the Lua window) every half second for five hours on end. So I think it's only the keyboard. Is it possible to block unloading of that keyboard hook as a test? Of course something else may go horribly wrong, it's me, after all...
    Hey Mastiff:

Does Windows 7 work well with gbumgard's speech recognition software?

Does it play nice with the INSTEON plugin?

How about other programs like JRMC and Zoomplayer?

I am currently running the 32 bit version of Windows XP Pro, but I was thinking of changing operating systems to the 64 bit version of Windows 7.

David

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast