Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slim or SqueezeDevice Development

Default SlimServer / SqueezeBox Development

I am working on a SlimServer/SqueezeBox plugin for both MediaBridge and Girder.
    My first goal is to make the Logitech remote work as a NetRemote remote, (through a Girder plugin for various reasons). I will be creating a SourceForge.net project for my progress, if anyone is willing to help it would be GREATLY appreciated. I will be using C# and the latest .NET as possible (to keep in compliance with MediaBridge)
    I will update this message accordingly, look for updates.

The source (not yet a working copy, and is being released under the GNU General Public License) for the project can be found at:
    https://satyr.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/satyr/Silenus

Thanks,
    Brett
    Last edited by JBrett; February 5th, 2009 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Added License

That's an interesting approach. How freely programmable is the slim devices remote?
    Ron
    No support through PM

The remote (Squeezebox Controller) runs SqueezeOS, which is just embedded Linux, and SqueezePlay (the application), both of which are open source. It is completely programable, a quote from the wiki "It's fully hackable and you can install applets written by the community. " I'm chosing to leave the remote in tact (for now) and re-work the server, for one, because I am more familiar programing in Windows, and two, so that I can continue to use the remote with the real server software.

Ron,
    I ran into a slight snag and hope you can point me in the right direction. For a little background, currently the dev is a completely stand-alone executable, basically mimicking MediaBridge, but just for communication with the SqueezeBox Controller. To interface with the media player I am borrowing MBPlugin, and (for testing) WMPPlugin.

My issue comes from the WMP Plugin being a caching plugin. At first I got a "File Not Found" exception, but traced that back to the lack of a "cache.mdb" in my executables directory. I copied the one from the MB directory and everything launched without an exception. But now I am trying to query albums (with FillGAC) and I am not getting any items returned. I attributed this to the cache being empty, so called MBBridge.RefreshCache() and now I have another "File Not Found" exception that I can't seem to trace back with FileMon. I see the cache.ldb file being created so the plugin seems to be hitting cache.mdb. I also tried copying all the MB files into my executables directory with no help. And, just to note, if I use my SatyrPlugin, (it is not a caching plugin) FillGAC returns perfectly (obviously I don't call RefreshCache() for this)

Other than that the control is moving along, I have it creating "fake" Squeezebox Receivers for the MBZones (but just a single one for dev). The "Now Playing" list is popluated with the current track showing current position and time remaining, Play/Pause work, oddly there is no "Stop" (the rest of the controls are trivial, which is why I'm focusing on the library right now)

Anyway, I hope you can help.
    Brett

Can you share your source with me?
    Ron
    No support through PM

I just comitted the latest to SVN on SourceForge.net. The path is in the first post but should be https://satyr.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/satyr/Silenus. Also, note the path to my SatyrPlugin is hard keyed right now in MediaBridge\MediaBridge.cs (it was WMPPlugin.dll, but I had to move forward for now). If you want me to send it directly as a zip archive I can do that too.

Thanks,
    Brett

(Actually I just attached the source, I removed the binaries)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by JBrett; February 12th, 2009 at 11:16 PM.

If anyone is intersted I have updated the source a bit. Unitl I figure out the caching plugin problem I have taken more of a Lua path for now. It exposes some functions to Lua to control the menu options on the SqueezeController. It adds a "Girder" (for lack of a better name) menu to the main list, that in turn can call Lua callbacks that can control the menu from there, adding sub menus, sliders, or checkboxes. The code isn't in a usable form, I removed the binaries, and Girder will require locks on the Lua stack that aren't implemented yet, but general Lua console code can control the menu. There is a very small example of the Lua code in the luaSlim.cpp (at the bottom)
    It is just to give an idea of the direction it is headed in, if there are any suggestions please let me know. (By the way, I realize it is a backwards approach to re-build the server side, instead of writing a client plugin for Jive to allow Girder/Lua connections, my main intention is to use MediaBridge instead of SqueezeCenter and control it with the remote)

Thanks,
    Brett
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by JBrett; March 1st, 2009 at 11:32 PM.

I'll see if I can get the squeezecenter setup here in the office....
    Ron
    No support through PM

Ron from what I can tell Squeezecenter might effectively be a replacement for JRMC for some people. I also understand that you can use Squeezecenter by itself (just the software). Electron was looking into this....

Would be great if Mediabridge could interface with it and then have NR control it....
    John

Now Playing skin creator

Girder 5.0 / Elk-M1EZ8 / Ocelot / SECU-16IR /SECU-16I / SECU-16 / BobCat Humidity
    JRMC 11.1 / M-Audio Delta 410 / Xitel HIFI Pro / Xitel HIFI Link
    NetRemote 2.0 / 6 Zone whole house audio delivering 1580 watts RMS total
    ELO 15" Touchscreen, Nokia 770 and Advent 3500PC Mobile PC 7" TS
    Droid 2 Global

Click here to visit my Nowplaying Showcase Blog

Correct you can use squeezecenter (if used in conjunction with the java squeezebox all free!)

I actually do have a squeezebox here.
    Ron
    No support through PM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast