Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weather Subscription - why not use free web site?

Default Weather Subscription - why not use free web site?

This is not a complaint, as I don't much need the weather report (Phx AZ = sunny & hot ... all the time!) but I wonder why not scrape data from one of the several free weather info websites?

some of my favorites...

WUnderground.com (Weather Underground)
    Weather.com (Weather Channel)
    Weather.msn.com (MSN Weather)
    Accuweather.com
    Nws.noaa.gov (National Weather Service)

Here's a huge list...
    http://www.google.com/Top/News/Weather/
    Aaron
    ----------
    My Setup:
    XBMC Media Center, Whole-House Audio, Paradigm-Onkyo-Parasound-Velodyne, 65" Mits 1080p DLP, EventGhost, Homeseer

Why not free? Because that is typically not allowed for Commercial use. Which is what it would be if Promixis does the scraping even by Girder on a per-user basis. Now if someone wrote a 3rd party script that user install and use themselves, I believe things are OK.
    Ron
    No support through PM

Additional, the free services typically don't cover a region as large (global) or have the satellite maps we currently have.
    Ron
    No support through PM

Ron is correct that commercial solutions have legal issues. Users will have to fend for themselves as Aaron has suggested. One solution is that Weather.com has a free XML feed of current weather conditions and multi-day forecasts. The only catch is you have to register at https://registration.weather.com/ursa/xmloap/step1 but bogus entries are accepted (for those concerned about privacy). danward79 wrote a GML & CCF for this quite a while ago. See http://www.promixis.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8870 but I don't know if it still works.

I think you guys are miss-interpreting the Terms of Use agreements on these things.

You are allowed to write Girder (or any other tool) to use a free for personal use RSS feed. Just like Outlook, Google, and any other app (free or pay) is allowed to use it for free, for personal use.

btw... using http://www.weather.com/weather/rss/subscription does not require any sort of signup or login. It is RSS and can be accessed openly & freely using any standard method. I added it to my iGoogle home page and Google Reader.

Ron, please consider converting Weather to use a free RSS service.
    Aaron
    ----------
    My Setup:
    XBMC Media Center, Whole-House Audio, Paradigm-Onkyo-Parasound-Velodyne, 65" Mits 1080p DLP, EventGhost, Homeseer

The weather component within Girder would get the weather information from a Promixis server and it was a Promixis server application that would get its information from a weather provider (correct me if I'm wrong, Ron). So if Promixis is getting the information and serving it to others, that's not "for personal use".

However, if every Girder user would have a weather script that went directly to the weather provider for the information, that would be fine. That's what I was suggesting. Are you suggesting Ron write this script for you?

There are a number of restrictions on the use of the RSS feed from www.weather.com - see http://www.weather.com/rss/rss_termsofuse.html

We can't guarantee that any CCF or other display method includes attribution to The Weather Channel, which probably violates term #6. That's apart from any of the other terms and conditions.
    --Rob

you are not violating #6 if Girder goes directly to the RSS feed, not coming through your servers.

Up to you. I hope someone will do this, just seems like a ton of weather info is freely available, from several places via RSS and I don't see a reason to have it go through Promixis servers.
    Aaron
    ----------
    My Setup:

#6 includes
    Code:
    You agree to provide proper attribution to TWC as the source of the RSS Content in reasonable proximity to your use thereof, and you agree that you will not modify the format or branding of the headlines, digests and other information provided in the RSS Service.
    I'm not sure that we can comply with that if we turn the RSS feed into a DM device. Doesn't have anything to do with whether we provide a server or not.

I'm not a lawyer, and without legal advice I don't think we can reasonably risk it.

I don't think we can even provide conversion between temperature scales without breaking the terms of use.
    --Rob

then I guess they should be suing Google, and any other company that does anything with the RSS feed as they "change the format".

I'm sure they are not going to come after you for this... unless your pockets are that deep?
    Aaron
    ----------
    My Setup:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast