Thread: 1000 miles away, and want to restart Girder...

Default 1000 miles away, and want to restart Girder...

So, I'm literally 1000 miles away from my home machines, and need to restart Girder (or, reset the lua engine). Seems my ELK M1 plugin is no longer present, and I'd like to poke the machine from faaaar away, to get at my security in the house.

I have access to the girder webserver from here. Nothing seems to be available there to restart it.

I have access via netremote on my laptop (here) through to girder via an opened port 2005 on my firewall at home. I can play music on my home stereo etc from here but can't figure out how to ask Girder to restart?

Anything like gir.Reset() that is available as an action I can send to Girder, from a netremote client, and ask it to restart? Reset the pc, reset girder, reset lua - I'll take anything!! Note I have not created any custom actions to restart Girder, or any such things.

Quote Originally Posted by Invent View Post
    ... Seems my ELK M1 plugin is no longer present, ...
    Did the plugin go away or did communication to the ELK controller go away? When this has happened to me, I've found it was the Elk M1XEP (Ethernet communication to Girder) that needed to be reset (by cycling the power). Let me know what you find. Sorry I don't have an answer to your Girder reset question.

What I have seen (although, overall, the M1 plugin is pretty solid and well-featured - very happy with it) is that the ethernet is always fine, and just hitting F11 (restart lua) will bring it back. Subsequent to this, sometimes I need to restart Netremote clients to get the lighting/thermo/security etc back.

It happens occasionally, perhaps once a month or so. I guess I should dive into logs and figure out what gets it lost in its shorts, but until this week, I was never remote when it happened, so it was not a super big deal.

Overall, the ELK itself runs 24/7/365 and the only time I ever need to restart it is if I'm reconnecting wires (and want to shut it down for safety's sake).

So, in the end, I occassionally see the link connection go away to the ELK, and restarting lua brings it right back asap. Don't need to cycle power on anything, or poke any ethernet goodies etc.

I should also note (perhaps this is normal) that in the web page for Girder I cannot see the ELK as an available plugin (or I would try to unload/load it from that method, and see if that would bring it back).

Sigh

There has been some discussion on the Cocoontech forums about the Elk M1XEP having some issues. I would do a search there for some info.
    John

Now Playing skin creator

Girder 5.0 / Elk-M1EZ8 / Ocelot / SECU-16IR /SECU-16I / SECU-16 / BobCat Humidity
    JRMC 11.1 / M-Audio Delta 410 / Xitel HIFI Pro / Xitel HIFI Link
    NetRemote 2.0 / 6 Zone whole house audio delivering 1580 watts RMS total
    ELO 15" Touchscreen, Nokia 770 and Advent 3500PC Mobile PC 7" TS
    Droid 2 Global

Click here to visit my Nowplaying Showcase Blog

Well, you could create a scripting action with gir.Reset() in it.
    --Rob

Well yes sure, but unless I miss my guess, I could not do that remotely from the Girder pc, right?

In any case, got home today, and the plot thickened.

First, I restarted lua with good 'ole F11, and nothing came back. DM.lighting, security, etc. So, i wandered over to the ELK M1 config, and wha?? No ELK M1 plugin present. The licensing page had a license present, but;

Seems Girder felt that my ELK M1 plugin license had expired? I was about to send emails to support, when simply re-entering the key brought everything back. Resetting the machine, or restarting Girder prior to that had no effect - the ELK M1 plugin was flat out disabled. Bummer

Once the key was re-entered, it magically remembered everything (including the static IP address of my M1EXP) and restarting lua brough DM.everything back online. Voila, fine.

Isn't that odd; has anyone ever seen the license code stuffs malfunction like that?

Well, if you have the action on the Girder PC then you can control it from NR unless Girder is really dead.

If Girder is dead then you could probably use the Girder watchdog to automatically restart it. The install doesn't create a shortcut for it, but you should find a watchdog.exe in your Girder folder which will start the watchdog for you - from its configuration page you can set it to start with Windows and also tweak the timings.
    --Rob

I tought that WatchDog is always running. Thanks for the tip.