Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is NR still being developed?

Default is NR still being developed?

Not much activity here lately.
    Sad.

: (

Well given the state of the economy that is not too hard to see at the moment. Maybe it is up to us to come up with some ideas that we want to see added. I know I usually work on my project more in the winter. Not sure what I am going to do this winter yet.
    John

Now Playing skin creator

Girder 5.0 / Elk-M1EZ8 / Ocelot / SECU-16IR /SECU-16I / SECU-16 / BobCat Humidity
    JRMC 11.1 / M-Audio Delta 410 / Xitel HIFI Pro / Xitel HIFI Link
    NetRemote 2.0 / 6 Zone whole house audio delivering 1580 watts RMS total
    ELO 15" Touchscreen, Nokia 770 and Advent 3500PC Mobile PC 7" TS
    Droid 2 Global

Click here to visit my Nowplaying Showcase Blog

Work has started on NR3, but NR2 is pretty much feature complete. But bugs will be addressed. Last build of NR2 was at the end of July, so only 2 months ago.

NRD is definitely being worked on too, there should be a new update sometime soon.
    --Rob

Any hints on new things in NR3?

I personally use NR less and less (unfortunately). Reasons?
    PDA's don't look cool anymore.
    There are web-based remote control interfaces (e.g. for JRMC) which can be used from a cell phone and pretty much do what NR does (for playback, not home automation. I don't do automation).
    VNC software. Why VNC to NR if I can VNC directly to JRMC?
    I still do use NR since I am used to it and have a pretty nice looking skin I spent a lot of time designing.
    I've been using NR for a number of years (since the times it was free) and probably will continue to use it but if I was a potential new customer I would probably look elsewhere.
    Still use Girder. Like it. But again, I could probably do without it since JRMC now has much better native IR remote control capabilities. There's also ByRemote HIP which is free and does everything I need.
    I never upgraded from G4 to G5. Why? It's too expensive. Even the weather is for extra money. Why pay for this feature if my LCD TV shows me the weather anyway? (it's internet enabled and allows not only the weather but RSS feeds too)
    All this means that NR2/G5 are not up to date (they were 5 years ago but not now).

Sorry.. just letting the steam out.

--max

Quote Originally Posted by Rob H View Post
    Work has started on NR3, but NR2 is pretty much feature complete. But bugs will be addressed. Last build of NR2 was at the end of July, so only 2 months ago.

NRD is definitely being worked on too, there should be a new update sometime soon.

NR3's feature set is not completely finalised yet, but there will be support for layers (NR2 sort of supports layers but only 3 of them - i.e. templates and template overlays). Layers can be moved, resized, rotated and have alpha transparency. All these can be changed at runtime either from Lua or via built-in actions.

I'd like to have support for vector images (SVG at least) and video files possibly.

A simpler plugin architecture is definitely needed.

All this of course requires a new file format - but that hasn't been completely settled on yet.

I would love to be able to make it as cross-platform as possible Windows, PocketPC and iPhone/Touch will be the primary targets (iPhone will probably mean losing scripting which really kills me), but I'm happy to consider anything else that supports .Net/Mono
    --Rob

Rob - thanks!

Would be great if it'd be possible to use NR not only with touchscreen/mouse but with keyboard/remote-control... i.e. selectable buttons.

--max

NR3's feature set is not completely finalised yet, but there will be support for layers (NR2 sort of supports layers but only 3 of them - i.e. templates and template overlays). Layers can be moved, resized, rotated and have alpha transparency. All these can be changed at runtime either from Lua or via built-in actions.

I'd like to have support for vector images (SVG at least) and video files possibly.

A simpler plugin architecture is definitely needed.

All this of course requires a new file format - but that hasn't been completely settled on yet.

I would love to be able to make it as cross-platform as possible Windows, PocketPC and iPhone/Touch will be the primary targets (iPhone will probably mean losing scripting which really kills me), but I'm happy to consider anything else that supports .Net/Mono

Default NR3 Scripting...

Ok, I know it's a little early to hit the panic button, but this caught my eye:

"(iPhone will probably mean losing scripting which really kills me)"

I'm HOPING that this would apply only to the iphone 'version'? I rely heavily on scripting to do custom 'stuff'.

Could you elaborate a bit on this thought?

Thanks!

K

Yes, it does only apply to the iPhone version - I couldn't do without it either.
    --Rob

Default Whew...

That's a relief - thanks!

Yes, it does only apply to the iPhone version - I couldn't do without it either.
    How about creating a NR "server" with VNC intergration? I am thinking of like how VMWARE uses VNC to VMs. You could have the NR server running and ANY device that supports VNC could connect directy to the NR interface. You don't lose any scripting or functionality but open up access to just about any device on the market! You would probably want to create so you could run multiple instances (each on it's own port or display id) so each remote device would have it's own NR instance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast