Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: is NR still being developed?

How about creating a NR "server" with VNC intergration? I am thinking of like how VMWARE uses VNC to VMs. You could have the NR server running and ANY device that supports VNC could connect directy to the NR interface. You don't lose any scripting or functionality but open up access to just about any device on the market! You would probably want to create so you could run multiple instances (each on it's own port or display id) so each remote device would have it's own NR instance.

I just don't see the features listed above as a "selling" point to NR3. You need to make it more flexible for more devices and vnc is an open standard. The other thing I think that should be done is more work to help users create interfaces. Maybe templates and great graphics and flexible options.

That's an interesting idea, I'll have to investigate.

Good point about the templates etc.
    --Rob

I would like to see DM improved in Girder so that you could for example name a switch 'master bedroom' then be able to reference that name within NRD to assign it to a switch from an object library. Basically drop a light switch on the page and select the DM item 'master bedroom' from a drop down list to assign it.

No LUA code for the user to deal with. I have personally been doing my best to 'sell' NR/G5 to HA users and the biggest complaint is the lack of 'ease of use' to create interfaces and way too much LUA coding to handle things. Many times they end up spending much more for CQC which they feel is more robust at creating user interfaces.

One way might be is the idea of using 'wizards' with NRD that essentially would write the LUA code in the background and keep the average user away from it as well as lots of drop down 'objects' with a good supply of graphics to choose from.
    John

Now Playing skin creator

Girder 5.0 / Elk-M1EZ8 / Ocelot / SECU-16IR /SECU-16I / SECU-16 / BobCat Humidity
    JRMC 11.1 / M-Audio Delta 410 / Xitel HIFI Pro / Xitel HIFI Link
    NetRemote 2.0 / 6 Zone whole house audio delivering 1580 watts RMS total
    ELO 15" Touchscreen, Nokia 770 and Advent 3500PC Mobile PC 7" TS
    Droid 2 Global

Click here to visit my Nowplaying Showcase Blog

I would love to see a graphical library with NR3.

I would also like to see built in batteries indicator level and adjustable timer function to turn off the screen, for those that use PPC and tablets.

Quote Originally Posted by jwilson56 View Post
    One way might be is the idea of using 'wizards' with NRD that essentially would write the LUA code in the background and keep the average user away from it as well as lots of drop down 'objects' with a good supply of graphics to choose from.
    Essential I would think in order for Girder/NR to compete/progress.

This is one big downside. Without a decent amount of programming knowledge, it's an uphill battle trying to achieve even the most simple of automation/integration tasks. On the flip side, it does offer a heap of flexibility in the current form, but the sheer challenge of the lua coding turns many people I have spoke to away the moment they see it.

That and iPhone support, which I see is being looked into seriously. I like the VNC idea to some extent - keeping in mind people also want client based info in NR (battery level indicators etc.) which I'm thinking may be lost if going a vnc-based setup.

Default simple vs. powerful

I understand the thoughts about simplicity, but I hope that whatever is done, it doesn't take away or make it more difficult to customize.

I groused about Lua and the steep learning curve in the beginning, but now I love the fact that I can do just about anything with NR and lua and would hate to lose that capability.

I looked at some other products before I found NR that were easier at first, but were very difficult (or impossible) to do the complex tasks that I enjoy doing with NR.

My 2c...

K

Great news about an iPhone version. Do you see a future where the middle tier can execute scripts on behalf of the client? This could also enable a thinner client that is more portable across platforms as well. If it still has the capability to kick of scripts on the server, that is great as well as I'll just place them there!

It's certainly an interesting idea and may provide a solution as far as the iPhone client is concerned. Should be fun to coordinate that!
    --Rob

Not quite the same but I use RDP on my Nokia 770 to access a NR client running on my SageTV server (with the multi login hack) and have to say that it performs quite well. Very responsive and full functioning. So I would imagine that if done right this would work out well.
    John

Now Playing skin creator

Girder 5.0 / Elk-M1EZ8 / Ocelot / SECU-16IR /SECU-16I / SECU-16 / BobCat Humidity
    JRMC 11.1 / M-Audio Delta 410 / Xitel HIFI Pro / Xitel HIFI Link
    NetRemote 2.0 / 6 Zone whole house audio delivering 1580 watts RMS total
    ELO 15" Touchscreen, Nokia 770 and Advent 3500PC Mobile PC 7" TS
    Droid 2 Global

Click here to visit my Nowplaying Showcase Blog

So with Netremote I am controlling my win7 media center htpc from my office PC, my UMPC and my phone. I'm really happy. There doesn't seem to be any other affordable software that does this with media center. I guess I'm saying NR is ahead of the curve.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12