Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Z-wave support advertised, but where is it ?

Default Z-wave support advertised, but where is it ?

promixis web site lists z-wave as a supported, but I've downloaded Girder 5 looking for any specific mention and have not found it.

I can personally see how to do it; Leviton VRC0P Z-wave<>RS232 bridge, then use Girder's generic Serial plug-in; Then I write a macros to send commands.

But please someone tell me someone has worked on this and has a better way.

Cheers,
    ..c

I do apologize. The during some SEO work on our website the TBA (to be announced bit was mistakenly dropped from the ZWave support). I've fixed that.

However short of that you can program your own using the serial transport support yes. I'm afraid I cannot help with this effort at all as we have signed a confidentially agreement with ZWave w.r.t. their API.
    Ron
    No support through PM

Actually this doesn't look too bad. I'm attaching a copy of the RS232 protocol in case it doesn't come with the unit. I *think* the attached lua script should communicate with the device. If you haven't set up a serial device in G5 before, save Zwave.lua in ..G5\plugins\serial. Restart Girder then go file->settings->plugins (left pane)->serial. Select the "Leviton Zwave" device on the correct port, hit "OK change" and close. Restart the scripting engine (F11), then hit F7 to bring up the lua console and see if it generated any errors. We'll go from there.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by FearTheDentist; December 5th, 2009 at 05:36 PM.

Ron:
    sorry to be the bad guy asking, I know you get this question every few months, but any ETA on this?

I'm running a trial now, and would like to have Girder be the software to run my home automation, but I don't want to waste $100 if it won't do everything I need it to (HVAC RCS-TZ43 and Leviton light switches).

FearTheDentist / Ron:
    I figured I'd try the LUA script and see if it would be compatible with my HA22, only to find out that the trial doesn't list the Serial-tab. Is this normal?

Thanks guys,

RJ

duh!, enable the General Serial check mark in the Plugins section... the Tab's now there...

playing with the script now, thanks!

Sadly no ETA on ZWave. Sorry.
    Ron
    No support through PM

Default Z-wave and Girder

Although I have been a long-time Girder user, I had to abandon it in favor of Housebot due to current lack of Z-wave support. I may still use Girder for portions of my project (IR macros) as Housbot can communicate with Girder. I still think Girder is the more versatile of the two. And Girder's remote GUI developer is better also, IMHO.

Regarding Z-wave, my experience so far is that it is a mixed bag; Mainly because the Z-wave alliance doesn't ride tight enough herd on A) how well
    a given vendor's z-wave implementation is documented; and B) how fully the various control classes are implemented; Depending on what you are doing, this can make it very rough for intermediate to advanced user. You can see a number of people pulling their hair out over on the zwaveworld forums.

The only thing I really need it to do is
    a) control my thermostat
    b) control my light switches / dimmers.

Since I'm in NYC, distance etc. isn't an issue since my apartment is only 750 sq. ft.

I'll take a look at Housebot, the only other thing I'm really doing is controlling my shades, which go on a custom RF frequency (they work like a charm though)

did you have any luck with the .lua file? I'm thinking of picking up a few z-wave dimmers to tinker with...

Not yet, but I am using the HA22, which I'm guessing isn't working quite the same as your transmitter.
    The initial HouseBot trial was promising though.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast