Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multi-room logic

Default Multi-room logic

i am about to begin creating some logic to control a multi-room audio and video system. i would like the ability for any room to control any source (audio and video). i have been trying to work out a method of completing this that will be very scalable for both zones and sources.

first question: does this exist now, am i waisting my time starting from scratch?

second question: how should this be accomplished? i have been mentally reviewing some designs but am unsure what will be best.

-i will be accepting commands from a IR input and NetRemote commands.
    -it will need to be able to handle duplicates of the same sources. (2 or more cable boxes)

my current plan is a combination of a LUA event script watching input, Event mapping to translate commands, and multiple event strings to react to different zones/ sources.

once the LUA script sees an input it will parse the zone and the command then throw it in to logic to see if it needs to turn devices on or off, set proper status for Netremote feedback, switch to correct inputs, ect. I am assuming that i will need to create (3) types of logic based on the type of systems in the room: video with full surround, video with TV audio, and a audio only zone. once the correct path is chosen then it can set the room to different states.

i think my overall goal is to have the end result be a zone event that i can drop into the tree view. named "Master Bedroom - Cable" the design can be set by choosing from a drop down or a radio button. (TV to input 3, reciever to input 2, ect)

as i am typing this the task is sounding more and more daunting. how manageable will this be? is there a way i can scale back and still get the same level of functionality?

(also if this is a bit hard follow i apologize)
    Last edited by 28seven; December 29th, 2009 at 04:55 PM.

Well I have a multi-room audio system. If you want you can a look at my blog at:

http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/ind...&showentry=119

I use Netremote/Girder 5 and JRMC for a six zone whole house audio system. My Now Playing skin also has a multitude of other functions such as lighting, security, weather and caller id log/alerts.

My video is kept seperate as I prefer a tactile remote in my hand for watching tv or movies. For that I use SageTV with their HD extenders. I can stream time slipped TV programs as well as many other forms of media.
    John

Now Playing skin creator

Girder 5.0 / Elk-M1EZ8 / Ocelot / SECU-16IR /SECU-16I / SECU-16 / BobCat Humidity
    JRMC 11.1 / M-Audio Delta 410 / Xitel HIFI Pro / Xitel HIFI Link
    NetRemote 2.0 / 6 Zone whole house audio delivering 1580 watts RMS total
    ELO 15" Touchscreen, Nokia 770 and Advent 3500PC Mobile PC 7" TS
    Droid 2 Global

Click here to visit my Nowplaying Showcase Blog

are you controling audio sources outside of the computer? can any zone control any of your sources?

If you look at this diagram (slightly outdated recently) you will see I control 5 receivers that are all centrally located. They are fed by 6 sound devices so JRMC can play 6 discrete tracks at the same time to any of the zones. I also use a distribution amp so that I can hardware sync any of the zones to the master zone so that there is no audio delays between zones. In order to control all those receivers you have to have a multizone IR controller like the Ocelot with the SECU-16IR module (or a GC controller which I am not familiar with). This is so that each zone will only respond to the IR commands you want in that particular zone. Since Netremote is networked to Girder and Girder is actually doing all the IR sending I don't need a distributable IR network. All zones can be controlled by a number of touchscreens and computers throughout the house.

And since each zone has it own receiver (100 watts per channel) only those zones that are being used are actually powered up. Each zone has its own tuner as well. You should really take the time to read my blog as many others have duplicated what I have done (other screenshots for the audio control, zone selector and many other Netremote panels).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nowplaying.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	246.0 KB 
ID:	5717   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	block.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	107.2 KB 
ID:	5718  
    Last edited by jwilson56; December 29th, 2009 at 06:17 PM.
    John

Now Playing skin creator

Girder 5.0 / Elk-M1EZ8 / Ocelot / SECU-16IR /SECU-16I / SECU-16 / BobCat Humidity
    Droid 2 Global

i was wasting time in the DUI editor and came up with the form below. this is the idea of how i would like to preform basic actions for a room on/ off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen shot 2009-12-30 at 8.26.26 AM.png 
Views:	175 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	5719  

i would like the ability for any room to control any source (audio and video)
    Sounds like a job for an AV matrix to me, not the cheapest way to do it though...

How many audio sources are you looking at?
    How many video sources are you looking at?
    What type of video HDMI, component, composite..?

How many rooms will land the above sources?

sorry if i was unclear. i understand how to get a/v signals to point to point. i have a key digital matrix. i am trying to create the programing logic that will allow easy expandability between zones and sources.

Example. i dont want to have a seperate IR set for every cable box i am controlling. i want girder to know what zone, what box it is controlling and send it out a command to a correct IR port.

Gotcha. If it was me, i would do it like this....

-Have a NR screen that displays 'Rooms Available' each room is a button
    -I pick which room I am in by pressing the appropriate NR button to suit.
    -Button action is NetRemote.SetVariable. For example, {MyCurrentRoom}
    -Variable gets set to room name from the button I pressed.

-Girder picks up the change in {MyCurrentRoom} via a watcher in the ccf's LUA file.
    -Girder sets a Girder variable to suit the required output on the matrix (or the room to you and me).

-In the meantime NR has page jumped to the available sources in that room. (you'll have to decide what each room has available and make a page to suit...)
    -I pick which source I require by pressing the appropriate NR button to suit.
    -Button action is NetRemote.SetVariable. For example, {MyReqSource}
    -Variable gets set to source from the button I pressed.

-Girder picks up the change in {MyReqSource} via a watcher in the ccf's LUA file.
    -Girder sets a Girder variable to suit the required input.

-Releasing the input button fires an event to Girder, This event is attached to 'HoweverYouSendOutControlToMatrix' action which sends contains [MyCurrentRoom][MyReqSource]

So from the customers point of view, they'd pick the room they're in followed by the source they require... Should work even if you have more than one NR client on the system... Works for me & i use a matrix...

I do something like that. I have a zone selector that sets a NR variable and then use that variable as part of the Girder payload for the button actions. I then have a set of Girder events to handle things depending on what needs to be done. I use an Ocelot for IR so I taught the Ocelot all the IR codes for the receiver and then just specify which zone the IR command gets sent out (the SECU-16IR can handle 16 IR zones) via the free Ocelot plugin (which works great by the way).
    John

Now Playing skin creator

Droid 2 Global

VicVonDoom - that sounds similar to how i was thinking about it. i made a new CCF file that is setting states and everything on the netremote side is looking promising. however, i am having a problem setting the watch. i think im a bit too thick to get the documentation in the manual. any chance you can give me a push? this is what i have so far

i have 3 variables Did (device ID), CurrentZone, CurrentSource. in the lua file for the CCF i have
    Code:
     NetRemote.RegisterVariableWatch(Did)
    NetRemote.RegisterVariableWatch(CurrentZone)
    NetRemote.RegisterVariableWatch(CurrentSource)
    NetRemote.SetVariable("ShowZones", 0)
    this produces no errors , but also does nothing with girder

even once i get girder to react how do i take that event and set the girder variable.

thanks alot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast