Thread: Girder 5.0 stablity and IR output solution...

Default Girder 5.0 stablity and IR output solution...

I am wanting to have a webpage that controls IR and serial devices. In the past, I used Girder 3.3 to receive IR and control windows programs / serial devices. At that time, I found that Girder 3.3 was not stable enough to put into a client's home.
    1) Is Girder 5.0 stable enough to put install in a client's home?
    2) What is the most error free (meaning I hit a button and the device under control responses) IR output device?

1. Been using Girder 5 for a while now and seems totally solid to me... haven't even had to use watchdog because I don't get any lockups now. The only time I had problems with it starting up was due to my LUA programming and nothing to do with Girder itself.

2. I've been using a USB-UIRT for 5 years now... I bought a second one just in case the first one died... second one has just stayed in the cupboard as the first one is still working perfectly.

I haven't used the Girder 5 webpage server yet as I use NetRemote 2 to make my control panels as it is so easy to build the pages these days thanks to the new designer.

Hope that helps.
    - John H
    * PROMIXIAN TO THE CORE! * (NetRemote2WholeHomePro + Girder5WholeHomePro + USB-UIRT + Touchscreens + WirelessControlSystems + ANNA) == AutomationHeaven
    - "IthinkI'mgoingtobantheuseofthespacebarinfuture..."

Well I switched from Homeseer 2 to Girder 5 to get the stability in my system. Girder 5 is rock solid. I had an operation a year or so ago and knew I wouldn't be able to touch it for weeks. It never gave me a single problem.
    John

Now Playing skin creator

Girder 5.0 / Elk-M1EZ8 / Ocelot / SECU-16IR /SECU-16I / SECU-16 / BobCat Humidity
    JRMC 11.1 / M-Audio Delta 410 / Xitel HIFI Pro / Xitel HIFI Link
    NetRemote 2.0 / 6 Zone whole house audio delivering 1580 watts RMS total
    ELO 15" Touchscreen, Nokia 770 and Advent 3500PC Mobile PC 7" TS
    Droid 2 Global

Click here to visit my Nowplaying Showcase Blog

Shaun, you may wonder why not many other Girder 5 users post here... it's most likely because they are not having problems with Girder 5 after they have developed their apps is my guess. You only get a lot of anger on the forums when the system falls over... guess that's why the MS forums are so busy heh.

Once you finish your system it works like the Energizer bunny... just keeps on running... and running... and running... and runni...

Seriously... I wish Microsoft had software that runs as smooth as NR2 and Girder 5 does now. Promixis is a design team that actually listens to their customers. I had a few problems with G5 and NR2 in the early days and I made suggestions along with the other testers... Promixis took all the suggestions and incorporated them into their packages (along with a whole host of other stuff to make it more powerful) and the result is an amazingly easy to use package now. The only hard part is learning Lua for programming custom stuff (well for me that is... my memory sucks lol).

They are even polite with users even when they get angry because they can't understand how to do something (yeah, I'm talking about me... they calmly took my problem and helped me sort it out, even though I was going nuts at the Lua coding of my custom system.)

The only reason I've been coming back here lately is that I am updating my system to add more functionality... what I already have is working fine... I just wanted to give it a few more bits and bobs as it were. Keeping up with what other Promixians are doing was the reason I came back... I just wanted to... err... borrow a few ideas.

I sound a complete fanboy... and I suppose I am... I just wish all software was as stable like this and was supported by developers like this...
    - John H
    * PROMIXIAN TO THE CORE! * (NetRemote2WholeHomePro + Girder5WholeHomePro + USB-UIRT + Touchscreens + WirelessControlSystems + ANNA) == AutomationHeaven
    - "IthinkI'mgoingtobantheuseofthespacebarinfuture..."