Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: restricted user problem with girder and MR

Default restricted user problem with girder and MR

Hello,

I'vew an odd problem: I want to run MR in a restricted user profile on XP home (EeeTop Touch-PC), but this very machine also runs girder, which i want to protect against manipulation. So a restricted user seems to do the job. But...

I got no connection to girder, even with another admin user (only the original worked).

Playing around with tools like NT Wrapper lite to make girder run as a service did'nt help, at least i used a batchfile to start MR and Girder with RunAsSpc starting them as an admin on command line ...

... sounds complicated? That's why i want to know if there's another slim way to do the same in a more elegant way.

Btw: the batch file does start both when Windows is up and running. A Shortcut or even copy in the allUsers-Autostart folder seems to start too early ad doesn't work.

Thanks desperately,

Christian
    ---Simon

What is MR?
    --Rob

Default MR means MULTIroom (which is NR)

Hi Rob

sorry for the confusion.

We have a branded version of Netremote which is called Multiroom (MR). So MR and NR is the same for us.

Christian
    ---Simon

Ah, sorry, I should have realised!

In what way is the user profile restricted, ie what permissions etc. have been removed from it?

Also, what sort of firewall is running? Can you connect to Girder on this machine from another machine on the network or is it just hidden completely?
    --Rob

Default Girder/NR Start behaviour

That was also a problem I went thru. If I use autostart Girder and NR on the same machine. Sometimes Girder works sometimes it doesn't. If it doesn't I have to start it manually a second time and it works then(first killing the hanging girder.exe that seems to be doing nothing more at all). I am working now with the updated watchdog from Ron 511A. But also with this nifty tool you can't be aware that girder.exe is running o.k.. Best would be to run Girder as a service. If it is running as a service you could make the service dependent of others, so it shouldn't run before any needed windows services. An better than that you can restart the service easily remotely.

Cool

FYI, I wanted to update how I managed to run all via autostart.
    I created a batch-file in the autostart folder. Additionally I downloaded the sleep.exe from http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/10/

What me really frustrated was I wasn't able to run NR after Girder was started. NR did go to death every time. So I tried NR before Girder and that was working like a charm. See the example attached! Pay attention, the autostart function for Girder is only selected in Watchdog not in Girder itself.

One thing I must say about my environment is that the PC isn't very performant. It's only an Epia Eden M1000 Board. But all is working fine now with 6 Serial Ports and a Touch-Screen.

did you try girder to start as runtime? could be saver for that poor machine.

Red face

Yes indeed, but I didn't see any difference.
    For now it works, Thanks

Default temporary solution...

Hi everybody

I helped myself and castrated the admin account: delete all unneccessary start menu icons, all desktop icons, hiding start bar etc.

unfortunately this is only a workaround.

@ Rob H: the restricted user is the original windows xp type of restriction, i.e. everything prohibited except for changing the desktop background... ideal for preventing children to destroy your system

As i use XP home on that Asus Touch-PC there's no group policy editor where i could change more details of that restriction.

I agree with zarri, if girder could be run as a windows service the whole user permission thing was solved and i could use a restricted account for showing Netremote on my machine - while girder is hidden and save in background.

Christian
    ---Simon

As I have explained before. Since Girder interacts with the desktop it cannot be a service.
    Ron
    No support through PM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast