Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: webserver plugin: different instances related to local ip adresses?

Default webserver plugin: different instances related to local ip adresses?

Hello,

once again a question from me regarding to the webserver plugin:

In the manual is written about virtual webserver instances with different host names in the hosts.txt. My question is: Is it possible to differentiate instances of the webserver with the local ip address / port address like:

Code:
    192.168.1.2:80=C:\websites\foobar
    192.168.1.3:90=C:\websites\manager
    thanks for an answer in advance,

mhund

As I understand it, hosts.txt allows multiple incoming requests with different DNS names to resolve to different sites hosted on the same computer. Those DNS names would map to a single IP address (the Girder machine servicing the request).

Is your question meant to ask whether Girder supports servicing different requests over different network cards in the same machine?

Cheers,
    Tim

Hi Tim,

no, not necessarily two cards, I mean two IP adresses. It can be on the same card or on different cards.

Are you thinking that the IP addresses are remote addresses as opposed to local addresses?

The hosts.txt maps DNS to different pages. The DNS itself is expected to resolve to the Girder machine's IP.

Cheers,
    Tim

No. I have multiple local ip addresses on my server for example 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.3. And I want to assign web server instances to these addresses instead of host names.

Gotcha; I didn't realize that it was possible to have a second IP address without a second physical network port. I think that servicing multiple IP's on the same machine (and correspondingly the hosts.txt) change would require some new code from Ron, but hopefully he'll chime in when he has a moment.

Best,
    Tim

The current build does not support using multiple ( beyond SSL ) port numbers for the web server. This would require a new UI and some code changes.

Of course you can do virtualhosts like this:

Code:
    chrome=c:\devel\girder\trunk\girder4\httpd
    127.0.0.1=c:\devel
    192.168.2.200=c:\windows
    The parser is quite picky so make sure you end with one endline for this to work. And also adjust to your own names and IP addresses.
    Ron
    No support through PM

Hi Ron,

thanks for your hint. I understand what you mean. It would work like different host names if I use the url http://192.168.1.2/xyz. In the end that's not what I wanted. I have an internal DNS which resolves some hostnames internal to the second IP address. External DNS resolves this hostname to my public IP which is NAT translated to the first internal address. So I can use the same hostname and differentiate between external and internal access.

nevertheless - it's a special issue for me and I do not expect you to do this work just for me. If you do this function anyway, you are welcome. If not I will look for another solution.

Thanks,

mhund

I do believe that should work for you. Girder can distinguish between different IP addresses and serve different web pages but it looks as though you are only interested in one port number, which works just fine.
    Ron
    No support through PM

Thanks Ron. I will give it a dry. Different Ports are not so important for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast