Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern NR client

Default Modern NR client

Ok, this is a little rediculous that Promixis has not committed to developing a Android and/or iPhone client yet! Honestly I couldn't care less about the iPhone client as I use Android but with all the tablets being released I just don't get it. I have been running my existing NR setup via RDP on my HTC EVO and B&N Nook but native support is the only way to go. I'm pretty much ready to just give my HP PDAs away because now that I have been using my EVO for a while using the old school PDAs is a complete joke!!!

There is even a forum member that a good start in creating a native Android client but it's very limited in functionality and it appears he does not have the time to keep improving his application although what he has done already is very impressive! How is it that a forum member can put something like this together but Promixis can't? This is exactly how companies end up failing in that they don't see and accept technology. NR was a good solution but Promixis needs to come up with a Android (maybe iPhone) solution ASAP or someone else is going to.

Promixis, TIME TO WAKE UP!!!

So, but this rant is well over due!!!

Glad to hear that you love NetRemote so much that you want an Android version!

You may have missed my various other posts, but for cross-platform support, I strongly recommend that you use the Girder webserver. It's popular to think that "native is better", but the reality is that web-hosted control is the future. The market is so fragmented right now, between Blackberry, Android, iOS, Windows Phone, and WebOS, not to mention Windows Desktop, MacOS, Linux, etc. that it is impractical to focus on native apps. Web-hosted apps run on all these platforms and more.

Google, Apple, and many other companies have embraced HTML5, and it is already possible to output HTML5 from the Girder webserver. PEAC also leverages HTML5 technologies. Trust me when I say that web-hosted control is the future.

Best,
    Tim

I have some issues with using a web browser as a replacement for NR.

1. Advanced HTML editing is not easy at all!
    2. There are reports that from others who have done this that layout is not consistent from device to device so the idea of a web browser being universal is not the case.
    3. I don't want to waste screen space in my remote because of address bars, tabs, browser menu buttons.
    4. If you want easy access to your web remote and be able to browse the web you will have to use tabs.
    5. Andre already has support for Android widgets. Very cool feature, never going to happen in the web browser.

So if you think the web browser is the way of the future please explain to me why there are over 100,000 native applications for iPhone and Android devices? It because native apps have more control, power, and flexibility. I really couldn't disagree more about the idea of using a web browser as a replacement. I sure hope it does not come down to this!

Update: I have reviewed some of your posts regarding building a web interface. If people need to rely on writing javascript and advanced HTML or HTML5 you can pretty much say good to NR and girder. There are going to be very few people who are going to have the knowledge and skills to do anything good via a web browser. The one thing NR/Girder has always had going for it is that it was easy to setup, configure, and design.
    Last edited by rkirmeier; March 17th, 2011 at 08:49 PM.

Unfortunately I think this is the direction that Promixis is taking. Personally I disagree with it as well. I recently got a new Droid 2 Global and now enjoy viewing my Vitek DVR with Total Control and using many other applications. I have not seen many companies trying to use web control for any of their applications. Even the new Grace Audio Internet Tuner I purchased just recently developed an Android control application for it.

CQC, Elve and Homeseer all have Android apps being developed.

This point has been discussed to death and I doubt we will change their minds. What I have developed with Netremote and Girder 5 works fine for now (using RDP from my Android) but my future lies with a company that is willing to keep up with new technologies as mainstream as Android and Iphone.

http://www.gracedigitalaudio.com/page.html?id=78
    Last edited by jwilson56; March 17th, 2011 at 09:56 PM.
    John

Now Playing skin creator

Girder 5.0 / Elk-M1EZ8 / Ocelot / SECU-16IR /SECU-16I / SECU-16 / BobCat Humidity
    JRMC 11.1 / M-Audio Delta 410 / Xitel HIFI Pro / Xitel HIFI Link
    NetRemote 2.0 / 6 Zone whole house audio delivering 1580 watts RMS total
    ELO 15" Touchscreen, Nokia 770 and Advent 3500PC Mobile PC 7" TS
    Droid 2 Global

Click here to visit my Nowplaying Showcase Blog

This is what I don't get... Everyone out there is making a Android and/or iPhone application for their devices (music systems, dish, directv, cable, x10, etc). The list could go on and on yet a company that is focused on control and automation is not making a Android and/or iPhone app. This has got to be one of the most stupid product decisions I have seen in a long time from a company. Oh, it was good while it lasted... I guess it's time to move on...

RIP Promixis!

Quote Originally Posted by rkirmeier View Post
    1. Advanced HTML editing is not easy at all!
    No harder than LUA; graphical tools from many companies (Adobe included) already exist. As I mentioned, I am also working on some tools to help.

2. There are reports that from others who have done this that layout is not consistent from device to device so the idea of a web browser being universal is not the case.
    With HTML3, you need to learn how to get consistent results. With HTML5, behavior is consistent from device to device.

3. I don't want to waste screen space in my remote because of address bars, tabs, browser menu buttons.
    You don't need to. There are many tools (such as PhoneGap) which will host your layout with no address bar.

4. If you want easy access to your web remote and be able to browse the web you will have to use tabs.
    Again, if you use a tool like PhoneGap, your control instance will be entirely separate from your browser instance, just as would be the case if you were running a dedicated remote control app.

5. Andre already has support for Android widgets. Very cool feature, never going to happen in the web browser.
    Actually, many platform-specific features are possible in a browser app thanks to extension tools like PhoneGap.

So if you think the web browser is the way of the future please explain to me why there are over 100,000 native applications for iPhone and Android devices?
    There were 1,000,000 applications for DOS too. Are you still using it?

It because native apps have more control, power, and flexibility.
    Your lack of foundation for this statement is amusing. There is absolutely no reason that you can't implement remote control functionality using HTML5 that is every bit as powerful and flexible as a native app.

I really couldn't disagree more about the idea of using a web browser as a replacement. I sure hope it does not come down to this!
    I'm sorry to hear that.

Best Regards,
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by rkirmeier View Post
    This is what I don't get... Everyone out there is making a Android and/or iPhone application for their devices (music systems, dish, directv, cable, x10, etc). The list could go on and on yet a company that is focused on control and automation is not making a Android and/or iPhone app. This has got to be one of the most stupid product decisions I have seen in a long time from a company. Oh, it was good while it lasted... I guess it's time to move on... RIP Promixis!
    To address the "everyone else is doing it" point: it takes a lot of resources to support different applications for different platforms. The way you develop an iPhone app versus an Android app versus a Windows Phone 7 app versus a WebOS app is very different. Not to mention Windows Desktop, MacOS, Linux, etc.

Everyone has their favorite horse in the race. A couple of months ago, the clamor was for iOS support. Today the clamor is for Android support. Tomorrow it will be for something else. If Promixis were a huge company, we could afford to chase our tail, but we need to look to the future and not get caught up in a short-sighted debate.

The reality is that web-hosted apps can be every bit as capable as native apps, and that they can be developed in such a way that they work on every single platform with a modern browser. If you want to write a premature epitaph based on our forward thinking, that's you're prerogative - there are some other small start-ups, like a little company called Google, who are betting their future on the same forward thinking that we are. Personally, I wouldn't count them (or us) out of the race.

Best,
    Tim
    Last edited by tmorten; March 19th, 2011 at 10:36 AM.

I agree with all the platforms, thats hard for you.

But if I think that I have to bring all the possibilities that NR gives me to a html page... "OH my good".
    All the client scripting stuff, all the states, timer functionality and so on...

Even to design a html page, with html and css and all the code between the
    tags... then you cant really use a WYSIWYG designer like DW. You have to code that.

Lot of company which provide a webvisu do that with a java applet, they provide a WYSIWYG Designer which creates all the content.
    Did you ever thought about that??

You can give the user all the power of NR-Designer and you have a cross-platform running application at the end!
    ---Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Manser View Post
    I agree with all the platforms, thats hard for you.

But if I think that I have to bring all the possibilities that NR gives me to a html page... "OH my good".
    All the client scripting stuff, all the states, timer functionality and so on...

Even to design a html page, with html and css and all the code between the
    tags... then you cant really use a WYSIWYG designer like DW. You have to code that.

Lot of company which provide a webvisu do that with a java applet, they provide a WYSIWYG Designer which creates all the content.
    Did you ever thought about that??

You can give the user all the power of NR-Designer and you have a cross-platform running application at the end!
    Thanks for the constructive comment - I agree with you 100% that an editor is the way to go. These days, you don't even need Java. Here's a screenshot of a WYSIWYG editor that I am currently working on, using just HTML3 (not even HTML5). The pages that it outputs are tailored to work directly with the Girder webserver. And yes, it supports variables and full drag & drop, just like NetRemote and Designer.

Cheers,
    Tim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Editor.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	175.6 KB 
ID:	6177  
    Last edited by tmorten; March 19th, 2011 at 10:37 AM.

I believe the web interface is the future. I use an iPad with a Girder web app for two way control of my lights, hvac, and media room.

Currently, I think the problem is that the web interface is such a blank canvas. I think a showcase of more projects like http://www.promixis.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20855, may inspire users to create more incredible cross platform interfaces. A few pages with cheesy icon layouts and the tiny amount of jquery to make a functioning page could do it as well...

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast