Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Task Create Plugin does not work with ehshell.exe on Win7 x64?

Question Task Create Plugin does not work with ehshell.exe on Win7 x64?

I have previously been using the Task Create plugin to generate events when Windows Media Center launches and closes. Using the event strings "ehshell.exe [CREATE]" and "ehshell [CLOSE]" respectively. This was working fine on my Win7 x86 machine but when I try to do the same on a win7 x64 box, Girder does not see any events when MCE is launched or closed. Other events are still being generated when other applications like Internet Explorer are launched for example.

Is there an issue with Task Create plugin seeing MCE launch/close events in Win7 x64? Is there a workaround I can use to still be able to determine when this application is opened and closed?

Can anyone help me out on this one? Please? :-)

Question

I did a bit more digging and what I have discovered is that the Task Create plugin does not detect the create/close events for ANY 64-bit applications.

I am making this conclusion based on observations in the windows task manager. Any task running with a "* 32" next to the name is detected by Girder. I assume the "* 32" means "32-bit app". Any application I run that does not have this "* 32" designation next to in in the Windows task manager is NOT detected by Girder. Windows Media Center seems to be running as a native 64-bit app so Girder is not seeing the task properly.

I was under the impression that Girder was fully compatible with 64-bit Windows 7 but it appears this is not the case?

Can the development team please comment on this and if there is any workaround to this issue? I am stuck without any workaround at the moment and I rely heavily on this plugin to work.

Thanks!

Yep that could well be. Win64 and Win32 apps are separated and cannot see or control each other. I'll see if there is a way to proxy some of those things.
    Ron
    No support through PM

Great, thanks Ron. I look forward to your reply, hopefully with some good news!

Hi Ron, any luck finding a solution to this problem?

I have a solution. Implementing it is another thing I've got some time craved out for this tomorrow.
    Ron
    No support through PM

Thank you!

FYI. I am working on this hopefully I'll have something ready next week. This is not a small change as you might imagine. I have to implement a proxy crossing the 32/64 bit boundary. Now I would like to do this in a way that allows me to solve the other 64bit control issues as well so I'm trying to do this right,.. not quick.
    Ron
    No support through PM

Much appreciated... I will wait!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast