Thread: Control feedback

Default Control feedback

I'm trying to set up a control system for my church's projector, etc. What I'm wondering, is if there is a way that I can set up Girder and NetRemote to show the status of each device. Right now, I've got it set up that I can send the commands (via simple send), but I'd like to have different states, etc. where which our switcher is on input one, there is some way in NetRemote to see that. Here's what all we're controlling:
    Extron IN1508
    Mitsubishi XD3200U projector
    Mitsubishi XL650U projector
    Mitsubishi LDT322V LCD display
    Pencom Designs RS-232 controlled relay (dual relay board)
    Insteon Network

As I said, I have all of these set up for just basic control, but I'd like to learn how/get instructions how to provide feedback in NetRemote as to the status of each device. The major ones that I'd like feedback on are the Extron IN1508, all the Mitsubishi devices (just power status), and the Pencom designs relay board. If needed, all of the codes for all of these devices are on the manufacturer's website. Thank you!

For devices using a one-way protocol (infrared for instance), you could keep track of what Girder's last send to the device was (on or off) in a variable, and propagate that value to NetRemote . If any of those devices are also controlled by another source (such as physical buttons on the device or a stand-alone infrared remote), you run the risk of the variable getting out of sync with the device state. For devices using a two-way protocol (serial or ethernet for instance), you could better ensure that your variable stays in sync with the device's state. The first case (simply tracking whether the last send was an "on" or an "off") is the easiest to implement, but both are definitely possible.

Cheers,
    Tim

Thanks for the info. Do you have any examples of the code I would need to use to do that? For both IR and RS-232 or LAN?

I'll be happy to help, but approach will depend on how you're accomplishing what you're currently doing. Is control already centralized through Girder? Have you leveraged any LUA to this point? Are you familiar with the concept of states for frames in NetRemote Designer?

Cheers,
    Tim

Default Thanks!!

Thank you for the offer!! Yes, everything is already centralized through Girder. I have yet to figure out any LUA or frame states. The only thing I have so far, is that a button appears one way when up and another way when pressed.

Take a look at the NetRemote "Set Variable" action on page 197 of the Girder manual. Also check out page 33 in the NetRemote Designer manual, which covers "Using Variables to Control Element State". Both manuals are here:

Girder: http://www.promixis.com/pdfs/GirderUserManual.pdf
    Designer: http://www.promixis.com/pdfs/NetRemo...on%20Guide.pdf

Cheers,
    Tim