Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I finally gave up waiting for NR 3 ...

Default I finally gave up waiting for NR 3 ...

...so I have now created four VMWare virtual machines (one for each faminly member) on my server with no other purpose than to run NetRemote, so I was able to use only 128 meg RAM for each (on a 8 gig server which already had one VM running with the full house Girder control and another sandbox like one for torrents and other "dirty" stuff). I am using a VNC solution and it actually works very well! Of course right clicking takes a couple of extra presses on the screen (calling up the menu and choosing right click), but still I can do just about everything I need to do.

I remember Rob mentioned a coming NR3 with a built-in VNC solution with syncronization, and if it comes I'll jump on that at once. But in the meantime this does what I need.
    Tor - managing director of the Cinema Inferno home theater and multi-zone sound system with Girder running the show in the back, NetRemote as the GUI and Media Center 17, PowerDVD and ZoomPlayer as playback software
    Hobsyssel mastiffs: http://www.hobsyssel.no

Rob and I were discussing the VNC server built into NR over a year ago. I don't see that happening. I also use a RDP solution for my Droid 2 phone that works well. I used the multi-login hack for WinXP Pro and have 2 extra accounts setup to service my RDP clients which are my Nokia tablet and my Droid 2 phone.
    John

Now Playing skin creator

Girder 5.0 / Elk-M1EZ8 / Ocelot / SECU-16IR /SECU-16I / SECU-16 / BobCat Humidity
    JRMC 11.1 / M-Audio Delta 410 / Xitel HIFI Pro / Xitel HIFI Link
    NetRemote 2.0 / 6 Zone whole house audio delivering 1580 watts RMS total
    ELO 15" Touchscreen, Nokia 770 and Advent 3500PC Mobile PC 7" TS
    Droid 2 Global

Click here to visit my Nowplaying Showcase Blog

I did this a long time ago as PDAs are a joke compared to modern smartphones although a much better solution is to use the terminal server hack for Windows XP/Vista/7 so you can have multiple logins then just use an RDP client... Still virtualized but one OS and application install to manage... I have since moved on to Andre on Android which I am very happy with.

But doesn't that multi-user hack mean a long login? From I press the icon it takes only a few seconds before I'm in. And NR will be exactly like it was when I left it last. Does it work that way for you?

As for Andre I don't think I'll use that because as far as I have understood the CCF's have to be modified (or even replaced?), and that's not happening. I have my CCF's that I've been using for 3-4 years, perfectly tailored to my needs.
    Tor - managing director of the Cinema Inferno home theater and multi-zone sound system with Girder running the show in the back, NetRemote as the GUI and Media Center 17, PowerDVD and ZoomPlayer as playback software

With RDP their is an initial login say after the computer is rebooted but you simply "disconnect" from a session and the application says running with the session (standard Terminal services behavior). Most all RDP clients allow defining the username and pass in the config so you don't have to "login" at all. Maybe once a month or two I would reboot the XP VM and therefore the first connection would take a few extra seconds to "login" but after that it's just a reconnect. This worked great for me but I really wanted a native Android solution that supported Android features and I didn't have what I would consider a highly advanced CCF like I know you do so I moved on to Andre which has exceeded my expectations in many ways. I did use most of my existing backend girder code/config but there is not way to use or convert a CCF so you start over on this part. VNC/RDP has some downfalls but works pretty good... When Andre or another native solution becomes more and more advanced you will likely start to see the advantages so a native solution and embrace it. IMO, the ideas and concepts are the most difficult part, once you know what you want or have an existing CCF to copy from the conversion is not that bad although for you I'm sure you couldn't fully duplicate your config at this point...

Well, I really don't have time to learn so much new stuff. So that's one thing. But I tried the RDP hack now, and it doesn't seem like it's possible to get a 1024x600 resolution, which my tablets need. Did you manage to change that, or did you use one of the Windows standard resolutions?

The resolution would depend on the RDP client not the RDP server. I used Remote RDP on Android which I could define any resolution I wanted. In a Windows RDP client you simply need to save the connection and then edit it with a text editor which will be very obvious once you open it.

Interesting, thanks! I'm going to try this. At the moment I'm having a bit of a problem getting the hack to work. The session logs off when I log on as another user. But I'll just Google and find a "how to" that actually works. Edit: Found one. http://www.howtechnews.com/2008/05/1...file-included/ Very simple.
    Last edited by Mastiff; October 20th, 2011 at 04:41 PM.

With Remote RDP this worked very well, thanks! Only annoying thing is that it seems the max number of users is 3, so I'll need to run two VM's for this anyway (four accounts for everybody living here and one guest account). Still that's better than running five VM's.

Ya, I forgot about that limit as I only had 3 connections... IMO RDP works a lot better then VNC! Well two VMs are easier to manage then 4. FYI... I used to be a bug in Remote RDP Android app that would cause and endless connection when reconnecting to a disconnected session. I eventually found out that if it does this you just hit the back key and it connects right up. I worked with the developer many times trying to figure this out but he seemed to think it was isolated me to although I could reproduce it on 3 different Android devices, 3 different Windows devices, and a different network all together so I don't think so. If you run into it might be worth reporting it. I don't think other people noticed it much because of the way I was using vs. standard RDP connections to a server. Thought about trying other RDP clients but liked everything else about Remote RDP so I stuck with it. Not sure if you figured it out yet but you can create a connection specific shortcut for this connection the Android desktop to save that extra click/touch...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast