Thread: PIR-1 Firmware Update + Promixis IR Studio

Default PIR-1 Firmware Update + Promixis IR Studio

We have a major update to the PIR-1 firmware available with these new features

• Much improved IR learning (modulated signals only <- 99% of remotes out there.)
    • Wake from Suspend ability
    • LED blinking on signal receive, send and manually

To upgrade your firmware and use these new functions please install the Promixis IR Studio.

http://promixis.com/downloads/setup-irstudio-0.2.exe

I had promised to have an update to you guys before Friday unless something crazy happened well I forgot about Thanksgiving tomorrow which pretty much blows my schedule out of the water for writing the documentation. To at least deliver the 'goods' I decided to release without documentation or Girder integrated learning for now.

Step one is to upgrade your PIR-1 to firmware release 4 ( PIR -> Upgrade Firmware ) allow it to reset the PIR-1. This places the PIR-1 into CDC mode (virtual serial) which is used for the upgrade process.
    This mode requires a driver, luckily these come with Windows we just need to tell windows about this by pointing it to the correct inf file, which can be found in the attached ZIP file called "PIR-1_Bootloader.zip".

Sadly CDC mode requires Vista or higher as the CDC drivers in Windows are terrible otherwise. Once CDC mode works you'll see a new comport appear. This is the PIR-1 in firmware upgrade mode. Now select that comport in the upgrade dialog and hit 'Check'. Once confirmed it's the PIR-1 hit the upgrade button. That's all.

Now you should be on the latest firmware. Use the IR Studio to learn IR signals and convert them to CCF for use in Girder. This learning functionality will go into Girder as well in the near future but for now it's also available separately.

Please post any questions or troubles you might have here.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Ron; April 28th, 2015 at 10:11 AM.
    Ron
    No support through PM

(save some for more explanation if needed)
    Ron
    No support through PM

Yeah, make sure the PIR-1 has been reset into upgrade mode before looking for the com port. I'm writing the manual as time permits today. I've got a first rough pass over the upgrade produce I'll post it here:

The PIR-1 can be upgraded without sending them back to the factory. Use the following procedure

First switch the PIR-1 to upgrade mode by click the upgrade button
    The upgrade mode uses the so called CDC USB profile. This is a standard and Windows supported mode that makes the PIR-1 appear as a virtual comport. Windows Vista and up come with the required drivers for this mode. The only needed is to tell Windows that the PIR-1 is a CDC device.

To do this click on 'have disk' or 'browse' when Windows asks for the drivers, then point Windows to the installation directory of IR Studio. On some Windows version you do not get this choice but Windows simply fails the installation. In that case go to the device manager find the AVR CDC Bootloader device (=PIR-1 in upgrade mode) and look for the (re-)install driver button.

Once that is done Windows will create the new comport.

[PICTURE upgrade.png]

Find the comport in the "Select Comport" dropdown box and press "Check" If this was the PIR-1 comport a message should appear below indicating so. Now you can upgrade to the latest version by pressing "Web Upgrade to Version X". This will download the firmware for you and burn it into the PIR-1. If you want to manually select the firmware you can use the Upgrade button and select your file.

Warning
    Upgrading can potentially brick the PIR-1 if the process is interrupted or an incorrect file is used to upgrade the unit. The only way to restore the PIR-1 into working order is by contacting Promixis.
    Ron
    No support through PM

How do I check the firmware revision level ?
    I am getting an error code 8235 when attempting to install the setup-irstudio-0.1.exe. on windows 7 ultimate 64 bit system that i have my pir-1 and girder 5.1 installed on.
    any suggestions ?
    Thanks
    John

IR Studio will tell you the firmware revision, which of course doesn't install for you. I'll see if I can make a zip file for you. Not sure why you get that error.
    Ron
    No support through PM

Ron,
    thanks, I got it installed by disabling 2 options in UAC. first option was referring to "installing only signed" and the other about "installing from secure location" in secpol.msc.
    I have successfully upgraded to version 5.
    Thank you for your assistance.
    John
    Last edited by jhf; January 28th, 2012 at 11:03 AM.

I am using pir-1 and the sdk on win 7 with vs2010 c# net 4.0 program I am writing. I am getting a 'pinvoke .. has unbalanced the stack error' when I send pir_learnCCF command. I do not get this error in net 3.5.

I have check and tried the calling conventions with no luck. The other functions, pir_open, pir_close, pir_sendCCf all work fine. Is there something I am missing with pir_learnCCF or is their a problem with the DLL?
    Thanks
    John
    Last edited by jhf; May 1st, 2012 at 09:35 AM.