Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Android App

Default Android App

In the past I spent a huge amount of time designing and building a CCF for use on a notebook and PPC but my days of spending hours designing and coding stuff are long gone. Also I don't have time to read or keep up with a single 56 page thread about an Android Client. So I thought it easiest to just pose a few simple questions in a new thread...

Is there a functioning android app available which could run an existing CCF?

If a conversion of a CCF is needed how difficult would this be?

My CCF is just music based and uses quite a lot of GAC functionality in the CCF and Lua file. I'm pretty sure it will still be available in the downloads section if that still exists.

Any help much appreciated, cheers.
    JLee
    OpusNR & JLee CCF/GML available in the downloads section.

The short answer is not that I can see. There are a couple methods being played with (a native android app that you can create something in and a webpage approach that is bypassing Netremote). For now I am using RDP to both my Droid 2 phone and my Kindle Fire and soon to my Asus Transformer T300 tablet. It is amazing how well it works. Very responsive and it lets you use your current CCF. There is a free RDP app for Android called 2X Client RDP that works very well.
    John

Now Playing skin creator

Girder 5.0 / Elk-M1EZ8 / Ocelot / SECU-16IR /SECU-16I / SECU-16 / BobCat Humidity
    JRMC 11.1 / M-Audio Delta 410 / Xitel HIFI Pro / Xitel HIFI Link
    NetRemote 2.0 / 6 Zone whole house audio delivering 1580 watts RMS total
    ELO 15" Touchscreen, Nokia 770 and Advent 3500PC Mobile PC 7" TS
    Droid 2 Global

Click here to visit my Nowplaying Showcase Blog

That's a shame. Having done all the work in the past I have no desire to revisit the coding desk. I just want to be able to use my CCF on the latest devices. I guess this really means NR is dead in the water. Real shame but not that surprising as it was always a very niche product - great for the die hard supporters of it but I guess newbies were always going to use alternative products as they were usually easier to set up.
    JLee
    OpusNR & JLee CCF/GML available in the downloads section.

I used the RDP option for a while and it worked OK. Never liked that there was no support for hard buttons and you couldn't hold you finger on a button otherwise I worked well enough to use my existing CCF. I have however been using Andre (Android app) for over a year now and really happy with it. Not at the level NetRemote was but tons of potential and some very unique features that NetRemote never had... For me, the ability to naively support Android was a must and it was obvious NR was acknowledging the need for native Android and IOS support.

I suggest everyone takes a look at Andre if you are interested in native Android support. The app is advancing in leaps and bounds and Luke is really putting in some neat features that are so flexible and just plain awesome in all honesty

Over the last couple of weeks, Luke has developed tcp transport and has full 2-way feedback working with my TCP lighting system here (Clipsal C-Bus), which I'm so impressed with. This is outside of Girder and direct with system, but there is also all the Girder integration possibilities too. The app literally is that flexible that it opens a world or options here.

This app is the future for Android and home automation - get onboard and support Luke!

I tried to support Luke but there is no download link in sight... the link on the forum is broken, the website is barren, the wiki is empty, his forum is empty, and the only play store app is a $20 beta that says don't buy it unless you are already a beta member and there is no description on the app or site on how to partake in his beta... Any ideas on how to get this thing?

I've worked directly with Luke for over a year now and I must say he is one of the best developers I have ever worked with and I've worked for 2 companies now with a development department. He is currently working really hard to get samples and documentation available in addition to a free version. Once this is done he'll be back to adding new features and he is VERY supportive of suggestions and recommendations. The $20 for the beta was a no brainer for me when it came to the market. I think he checks in the on the main thread once in a while so try posting over there. I assure you his absents here is not a long term concern for the future of Andre. He really is an amazing developer and is dedicated to getting Andre to a public release with documentation then continuing to improve Andre.

Hi NJ,

I've got a free trial version of Andre ready to go into the market, I'm only waiting to release it so I can get the demo/getting-started config finished and put the first round of documentation on the wiki. I'm a very conservative developer, not wanting to frustrate users with a half-finished product, and I tend to over-engineer and obsess about polish, which has drawn out my timeline considerably.

The trial will be fully functional in every respect, with only an occasional nag screen when buttons are actually used (meaning you can use it to create configurations and test things as much as you like).

I try to be extremely responsive via email (luke at andreapp dot com) to any questions, and I've recently configured and opened the forums at andreapp.com to begin handling support there. Considering the state of the current release (and more specifically the age of the included config.xml and documentation), it would probably be difficult and frustrating to join the beta at this point, so I would suggest keeping an eye out for the release of the free version so you can try it out without commitment or obligation. I'd very much like to release this as early as this weekend, but I've shot for and failed to do that several times now, and I don't want to get anyone's hopes up further.

I'll post here when it is available though.

Well that was a fast and good response

Thanks. I would really love to try it out, as I'm sure would many others. I look forward to it's release.

I'm very excited to get it into more people's hands. Thanks in no small way to the beta testers who have suggested features and hammered on it now for well over a year, there's a healthy amount of flexibility and power available, and I'm very anxious to see what people can do with it!

My only concern now is to make sure all the flexibility is actually comprehensible by people other than myself. It doesn't do anyone any good if the power is there, but it's so convoluted or undocumented as to be impossible to figure out!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast