Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've been away almost 10 years and now I want a customized Universal Remote... again!

Default I've been away almost 10 years and now I want a customized Universal Remote... again!

Hi everyone. It's been a very long time since I've been around. Almost 10 years?!?! Wow. The time flies. Cool I'm still a Senior Member! LOL

Is Ben Sweet still around? What about Mike C.?

All this time, and yet, here we are, and still no solid and completely customizable Universal Remote APP or Hardware on the market! Very surprising. What gives?

The reason I thought of NetRemote (i.e. promixis, now) is that I'm looking at getting a Samsung galaxy 2 7" tablet. The interesting thing is that it has IR blaster built in!!

It also comes with some app called PEEL.

But...... it's not entirely customizable (is it?), which is when I thought of NetRemote. I made my very own interface graphics (Rain Kissed Grass - anyone remember that?) complete with Alpha Transparency and the works! I could put any button I wanted anywhere I wanted... who uses ALL the buttons on every remote, anyway!?!? I don't... Volume +/- Channel +/- mute, subtitles, up, down, side to side, enter, info, play/pause, and POWER.... that pretty much sums it up! Oh... and the numbers for channels (which I could make a favorites with graphics in NetRemote)

Also, I no longer need the MediaCenter ability. With DLNA, I found a great app (MediaHouse) that allows me to send music to my Samsung TV... and even add to playlist on the fly... it also sends Album cover, if it exists... so that is covered. But actually remote control type capabilities still severely lack!! I do it on my HTC evo 4g LTC... I can even take pictures and send them right to my TV - pretty cool...

Anyway... long story... things don't look as active as they once were here... but technology has still not quite got all NetRemote had, yet! What did I miss? Where is everyone? Is there something that came along that is better and everyone took off????

Is there a NetRemote/Girder APP for Android based OS and/or other Tablets? Can it control the Samsung 7" tablet's builtin IR?? Come on, come on - I need 10 years of catch up here!!!! LOL

Thanks!!!
    Dennis Lopeman : Atlanta, Georgia - USA
    Not enough time...

Dennis

Great question regarding the APP for Android based OS. Its taking over mobile electronics and it would be great to be able to use these items with NR.

Anyone toyed with Android yet??

Richard

Well there was a long debate about getting NR on Android or iPhone. Short answer is we lost as Promixis has taken the stand that using a web interface is the way to go and has pretty much halted development of NR. As a long time NR user I was not too happy about this but I also have found that using a RDP app on my Kindle Fire and phone I can access my Now Playing NR skin pretty well. So that is what I am currently using.

I keep my blog up over on Cocoontech.com and occasionally post here. I like many others that are still using NR/G5 for their home automation needs seem to have gone quiet as the setup I am using works well and have no plans on adding or changing things for now.

I have not found anything better than NR. I personally own Homeseer 2 and Elve Pro and neither of those comes close with their GUI interfaces. I also use JRMC for my 1000+ ripped CD's using APE as well as using the Grace Digital Internet tuner which is controlled via UPNP and the Girder plugin which works great.
    John

Now Playing skin creator

Girder 5.0 / Elk-M1EZ8 / Ocelot / SECU-16IR /SECU-16I / SECU-16 / BobCat Humidity
    JRMC 11.1 / M-Audio Delta 410 / Xitel HIFI Pro / Xitel HIFI Link
    NetRemote 2.0 / 6 Zone whole house audio delivering 1580 watts RMS total
    ELO 15" Touchscreen, Nokia 770 and Advent 3500PC Mobile PC 7" TS
    Droid 2 Global

Click here to visit my Nowplaying Showcase Blog

Each day I check in to see if there are any new posts, and most days I'm disappointed to find none.

I'm not quite ready to abandon Girder/NR, but it seems that it might be in the cards? Of course, I wish Promixis all the luck in the world as it appears their PEAC work is pretty awesome and fills a need in the market.

I haven't found too many things that I can't automate with Girder/NR (love Lua), but without a vibrant community to support the apps, I'm not sure how Girder/NR can survive...

Bummer...

Wow I am now bleeding from the eyes with forums and websites. To cut things short I just got my head around the Netremote2 software, are you now saying that I should be following a different avenue? Is there any white paper about Girder/Netremote and web interface. I am at a loss as to what I should be doing to keep using Girder for consumer electronics. If I need to be studying something else and not Netremote then I would like to do that now before getting to deep into it.

Kind regards

Richard

Well from what I have seem using a web interface to control JRMC seems out of the question. So for me I will stick with NR/G5 as it works and there is nothing I have found that works better for me as JRMC is the center piece of my six zone whole house audio system as well as controlling my Grace Digitak internet tuner via UPNP. I look at it this way.. does it run native on Android... no... does it do pretty much anything I want... yes.... does any other HA app compare (Homeseer, CQC, Mainlobby and Elve)... not from what I can see from first hand experience with a couple of the newer ones.

What can you do in NR? Pretty much anything you want for a GUI frontend... frames, popup panels, 2 way status between NR/G, Elk interface, and a host of other hardware interfaces. So I am not going anywhere. Do I post here these days... well not much... but like I said what I have works and works well. I just upgraded my server last year so its faster and uses less power. I have it mirrored so if anything should go wrong I can get it back quick and it runs Windows XP Pro. Wouldn't have it any other way for stability.
    John

Now Playing skin creator

Girder 5.0 / Elk-M1EZ8 / Ocelot / SECU-16IR /SECU-16I / SECU-16 / BobCat Humidity
    JRMC 11.1 / M-Audio Delta 410 / Xitel HIFI Pro / Xitel HIFI Link
    NetRemote 2.0 / 6 Zone whole house audio delivering 1580 watts RMS total
    ELO 15" Touchscreen, Nokia 770 and Advent 3500PC Mobile PC 7" TS
    Droid 2 Global

Click here to visit my Nowplaying Showcase Blog

I hear ya John - I'll likely continue to use NR/Girder for some things until it no longer runs. I have yet to see anything close to NR when it comes to touch screen design. The challenge is that it would seem that using NR/Girder runs the risk of becoming a 'solitary' activity without a vibrant community to back it up.

I think back to the times I added new components to my system and how fellow users and developers provided input and shared insights. As new 'stuff' comes out that I'd like to incorporate into my system (I'm very interested in using SONOS to replace my Russound/JRMC setup), that community may no longer be there...

Just adding our 5 cents.

We are developing Girder 6, and are currently alpha testing it. PEAC is taking a lot of our development time since it's paying the bills and the housing crash pretty much decimated the diy H.A. market for us. Though it's getting better again.

However we never abandoned Girder and we've developed our own hardware. What NetRemote users will like is that we have a NetRemote replacement built into Girder 6. And what you guys will like the most is that this will run on Android, iPhone (eventually BB10 hopefully) as well.
    Last edited by Ron; April 11th, 2013 at 10:02 AM.
    Ron
    No support through PM

Well Ron - that sounds like great news! I'll keep an eye out then! Thanks!
    Dennis Lopeman : Atlanta, Georgia - USA
    Not enough time...

Default Pushing On Then

Thanks for the reply John. I will keep pushing on then with Girder and Netremote, I do like it, I have just repurchased the Whole Home version. I have a lot to learn in the mean time. Just one question, I have UIRT working fine on one machine but now would like to move over to WiFi on a PPC. Are their any tips you could put forward. I don't seem to find any documentation on this subject or is Plug and Play?

Thanks for the short reply.

Richard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast