Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nutech AD2USB - Alarm Panel Integration

Default Nutech AD2USB - Alarm Panel Integration

Hey Folks,

I'm interested in integrating my existing home alarm panel to girder. Saw this neat little interface from Nutech - the AD2USB.

http://www.nutech.com/online-store/35.html

API located here:
    http://www.nutech.com/forums/ad2usbapi.html

Apparently its a USB device, but installs as a virtual com port on the system to enable serial communications.

Just wondering if anyone has already gone down the path of writing a serial config for it? Couldn't find any hits in a forum search, so I"m guessing "no".
    Last edited by gravy; April 26th, 2013 at 02:23 PM.
    Scott

Hay Scott.

I would be willing to send a few ad2usb devices to key people that would be involved in developing or testing a driver. I myself
    have used girder for a friends home automation system but do not myself have a copy currently to be of much help.

Anyone interested can contact me but I would prefer if someone from Promixis took the lead if possible. Currently the AD2USB has drivers
    for a large number of systems and I would encourage Promixis to join the fun. When the driver is usable I will add girder to the list
    of supported HA systems in our FAQ page.

Regards
    Sean Mathews
    Designer of AD2USB and CTO @
    Nu Tech Software Solutions, Inc

Sean, that is very kind. I'll be happy to also offer you a free copy of Girder. Contact me at sales@promixis.com
    Ron
    No support through PM

I'd be happy to help directly though we don't have a Honeywell alarm system in the office.
    Ron
    No support through PM

I upgraded my panel from a Napco P800 to a Vista 20p. The process was pretty painless since all wiring was well labelled.

As soon as I receive my AD2USB, I'll start on a serial config and handler for it. Stay tuned!
    Scott

OK - we're off to the races.

I recieved the AD2USB, enabled it in my panel programming, wired it up, putty'd into the AD2USB and set some configuration options according to the instructions and it went very smoothly. The AD2USB comms works fine. I've setup a very basic serial .lua file for it and it is throwing events within girder. Good first step!

Next phase will be to make sure I've captured all the possible output events. Slick little device.

There might be a challenge in monitoring the state of faults, since the Honeywell panel does NOT send an event when a particular zone fault is cleared. The panel sends a list of currently faulted zones, so you need to watch to see if a previously faulted zone is no longer on the list. The Honeywell Panel does sent an event when all zone faults are cleared "i.e. Ready to Arm". Currently I'm using that message as the inidcator to turn off the relevant graphics in my GUI front-end, but I need a better method here.

In a busy house, the "ready to arm" message might not show up for quite awhile and the "tripped zones" graphics on my GUI will start to accumulate!
    Last edited by gravy; May 27th, 2013 at 03:35 PM.
    Scott

Sean - if you happen to be reading this, I have a question for you:

Should I enable the virtual relays on the AD2USB? I was doing some reading and saw a post stating that "One major application for these virtual relays is the ability to watch for zone open and close events directly for ALL zones in your panel. Previously you could watch for Expander module events and RF device events".

I'm not sure if this is still relevant, as the post was a couple years old, but sounded applicable.
    Scott

Nevermind - I enabled the 4 virtual relays on the AD2USB in the config. Each virtual relay on the AD2USB has 4 inputs each, and I have 16 zones.

I used the instructions on the nutech website to program and map the alarm panel relays to the zones. Now I get discrete on/off events for each zone which is great!

Quote Originally Posted by gravy View Post
    Sean - if you happen to be reading this, I have a question for you:

Should I enable the virtual relays on the AD2USB? I was doing some reading and saw a post stating that "One major application for these virtual relays is the ability to watch for zone open and close events directly for ALL zones in your panel. Previously you could watch for Expander module events and RF device events".

I'm not sure if this is still relevant, as the post was a couple years old, but sounded applicable.
    Scott

Update:

I'm getting into sending commands now, and still trapping a bunch of states and commands from the AD2USB for the basic stuff. I haven't messed with partitions or wireless devices yet, but progress is happening.

Took me a while to figure out how to send the "Function" key (macro keys on the Honeywell Keypad.) for anyone interested, the code is:

local AD2USB_COMMAND = string.char(1,1,1) -- For F1 (use 2 for F2, 3 for F3, 4 for F4)
    Scott

Sorry for the delay in answering. I have not been receiving notifications on posts to this thread. Need to figure out why.

Looks like you are well on your way.

I can provide my algorithm for predictive detection of zone closes that does not require the relay method when you get the first rev stabilized. Relays are the fastest way but require a lot of programming on the panel and require one to not already have relays in use.

Re
    Sean M

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast