Thread: QT / Netremote functionality with Girder 6

Default QT / Netremote functionality with Girder 6

Ron,
    I've been mad busy with work related stuff and have only just got back to testing Girder6 (spurred on by the build of a new server to host it!)
    to bring up the content from an old thread from the Alpha phase of Girder 6;

I use netremote with multiple touchscreens & Ncompututing L300 terminal clients to control and indicate many aspects of home automation.
    I have many variables (originating from a custom digital / analogue data collection system) to show the status of every door, window, room PIR, light, temperature etc and I use netremote to set the status of lights, open doors, manage my alarm etc.
    I would like to replace this functionality with Girder 6 and its associated UI (whatever that will be).
    Much of the coding in my netremote is done using repeating frames, so to show the status of 100 digital sensors, I build the frame for one, and set a grid with the LoopIndex as a key to roll out to the others. So the actual coding is lots of repeats of a very simple concept.
    You've previously indicated that this is possible in QT.

The ideal goal is to open a 'designer' package, to be able to place buttons / text boxes that can ideally link directly to the girder namespace and to 'create' a UI that will function on 'any' platform.
    You update a variable in girder, the text box in the UI updates. You press a button in the UI, an event is sent to girder (with or without a payload).

Is this the end intent of QT with Girder?
    I'm happy to discuss / bounce ideas further.
    Any one else currently using Netremote with significant interactions with Girder5 who has managed to get QT / Girder 6 to replace that functionality?
    To date, I have been unable to work out how to create / edit any form of page that interacts with girder 6.
    I would really appreciate just one working example of a variable updating back and to girder with a link to the software to edit that example such that I can roll out and test.

Until this is working (as the UI is key for my setup) I'm not really able to fully test much further.

With thanks
    Jon

Yeah Qt allows for looping using the "Repeater QML element". You can place the thing to repeat in the same file, inside the repeater or even neatly in a separate file.

Have a look at the ui subdirectory. It has some examples of what can be done with QML.

At one point we'll have a designer. This is not a small project and at this point it will be a while as our engineering plate is very very full.
    Ron
    No support through PM

Ron,
    cheers, I've done a fresh install of girder 6 on windows 7 pro 64 bit.
    just to ask a daft question.....
    I can see the examples in the ui folder, but none do anything when opened into girder (open ui from file)
    just blank windows.
    I've googled qt quick 2, but most links go to qt creator 5.1
    do I need to enable something to make it work out of the box? I assume all the libraries have installed?
    will qt creator 5.1 enable me to edit these files?
    can you just check as a fresh windows install what else needs loading over and above the girder6 install as I'm honestly stumped as to where to go next!
    I realise your v busy, I'm willing (and hopefully able) to continue, I'm just stuck.
    or is it not designed to easily work with a ui yet?

to anyone else.... does anyone have a working editable ui with girder6?

Did you install with DirectX or OpenGL libraries? The QML part is where this difference is significant. If you tried one, try the other...

You shouldn't need anything else. Also look at the log window for errors.
    Ron
    No support through PM

I tried with OpenGL (hardware), I was connected on a remote desktop session and hadn't twigged that this may cause issues.
    DirectX didn't work either, but OpenGL (software) did on the remote client. All types worked directly on the server.

Right then... Events.qml seems to work as expected when opened in girder and I can kind of make out what is going on in the code when viewed in notepad.
    This would be too difficult to code in notepad for what I'm after though.
    So I downloaded QT creator 5.1, but as previously mentioned during alpha, although this will open these qml files to view the code, it will not open the design.
    It says 'QML module not found' and if I follow the error link, it errors on line2: import Promixis 1.0 as Promixis
    If i delete this line, it errors again on lines 11&12:
    window.size.width = 300;
    window.size.height = 500;
    if i delete these lines, design will now open but it is blank. This is again an issue with remote desktop and the ncomputing L300, if I open directly on the server the design appears.
    However, all the buttons are stacked on top of each other so they've lost their location properties.
    i also can not see how the events are configured in QT creator, there is no property for this, is this the special designer software your planning on?

In the mean time, can Netremote not be ported across? Or do you think the QT designer would be available soon?
    So some progress...
    With thanks
    Jon

The creator is not the software I am planning on no.

There will be a specialized piece. This will be a while before this will be released. Due to the complexity of the product and the engineering queue being enormous already. Sorry!

I know this is not what you'd like to hear, but If you really wanted to get started QML can be hand-edited. I tend to do that. The old NetRemote code base is tied very closely to Windows. This prevents us from porting it over without completely rewriting it. Hence we've chosen the QML path, which will give us tremendous power once fully done.
    Ron
    No support through PM

Ok thanks for the update.
    I'll eagerly await some sort of compatible creater software for testing, but in the mean time i'll stick with girder5 and netremote and will stop mythering!
    If you want to bounce any ideas during its development then get in touch.
    Cheers
    Jon