Thread: Question

Default Question

I used to use girder and Netremote back in the day. Drifted away to other products, but I am still looking for a better solution for home automation. Before I invest time in a new product, I do have a few questions. I am currently using terRemote on my tablet and Eventghost on a PC. What would you say is the main difference between Girder and Eventghost. I need a sales pitch, "LOL" on why Girder is better then Eventghost. I see that Girder has a web server, can you run PHP scripts? I found that the repeat of IR with Eventghost and the USBIRT to be a bit slow, not nearly as fast as the manufacture remote. Do you have a better suggestion?

Thanks
    Mike

Honestly I haven't looked at that in a long time, so I'm not sure which features Girder does better or worse.

All I can say that Girder has been under continuous development since 1998. It went commercial somewhere in 2004. It's been commercially supported ever since. We have a huge user base, you might not always see them as people tend to complain and post when things go wrong not when things go right , though I wished they did! We've weathered the economic downturn in great shape, this alone is a testament to the quality of our products.

Our user-base includes a lot of big companies. Examples are Intel, Microsoft, Sony, NBC, DOD, hospitals, schools, the list goes on and on. These guys use Girder from process automation, consumer electronics testing to broadcast operation tasks (including a big time show on NBC ) It's all behind the scenes.

We do a lot of work for people with disabilities, both Girder and PEAC are suited for this market. PEAC and Girder influence each other and features transfer back and forward.

We manufacturer our own hardware, including a replacement for the USB-UIRT. This is the PIR-1. I'm not sure if the USB-UIRT is slow or not but for the PIR-1 you can set the repeat time. I'm happy to show you how.
    Ron
    No support through PM

Thanks for the reply. Glad to see things are going good for you all. The one thing you didn't answer is the question on PHP. I have a web page that runs PHP and I am tired of tweaking Apache to get PHP to work. Does the Girder Web Server run PHP scripts?

Also looking at the PIR-4, do you know if the repeat function is fast enough for example the apple TV, to FF through a song you need to hold down the right arrow button on there remote. EG and USBIRT can not match the manufacture remote causing me not to be able to do that.
    Thanks
    Mike
    Last edited by mpg732; October 22nd, 2013 at 06:04 PM.

Girder does not do PHP, it does do Lua however. Which works much like PHP. There are some examples in the distribution.

I do not own an Apple TV so unfortunately I cannot answer that question.
    Ron
    No support through PM