Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Text to Speech via HTTP call

Default Text to Speech via HTTP call

I'm a long time Girder (3.3) user and I'm updating my HTPC machine to Win8.1. I'm planning on migrating to Girder 6. One of the things I need to reproduce from my old system is kicking off text-to-speech via an HTTP call from other machines in my house (home automation, etc).

Is this something I'd be able to do using Girder 6's TTS? Forum searches are turning up the old "say" plugin. Can anyone point me to an example?

I'd essentially like to do some variation of:

http://girder: port?text=some+arbitrary+text

and have "some arbitrary text" spoken.

Absolutely. Girder 6 has text-to-speech plugin built in and of course a web server. We can combine those in a few ways to make this happen.

The current release can do this by putting the CGI variable text in some Lua variable ( for example SPEAKME ) and firing an event from the XXX.lhtml file. Then attach that event to the speech action which has it's text to speak set to "[SPEAKME]"

I'm adding a lua interface to the speech plugin to make this a bit easier for the next release.
    Ron
    No support through PM

Excellent. Thanks. I'm expecting my new motherboard within the next few days. Glad to know that Girder will fill this need.

Another question about this. The system that I'm migrating from is something I built in PHP using MSAPI. It was able to queue several speech requests and speak them one after the other. Most of this was handled by the API. Will Girder queue speech, or will it block. I'm only talking about 2-3 speech commands in quick succession.

Thanks!

Well good question. I went to check and found the async/sync checkbox is missing... Let me add it and see how we can solve that.
    Ron
    No support through PM

On Windows 8.1 with async option set the speech will be queued.
    Ron
    No support through PM

Awesome. Thanks for all of the help. When you say "let me add it", does that mean that the downloads on the "Girder 6 on Windows" thread get updated?

The next release will include that change (6.0.0.51)
    Ron
    No support through PM

I got Girder 6 installed today. I was able to get my USB-UIRT working and got some events to respond to remote input (still figuring out how to "send" - G6 is so different than G3).

I haven't been able to figure out how to set up the CGI variable receiving (and the .lhtml setup) that you suggest. Is there a tutorial or a reference I can look at to figure out this part?

Put the attached file in the Girder6\httpd\gir folder. In a web browser use the following url.

http://localhost/gir/speak.lhtml?com...o%20sugar%20is

Cannot upload .lhtml files, Ron?

Here is the text for file speak.lhtml, save it in the Girder6\httpd\gir folder. Be sure to include the lhtml extension.

Code:
    <%
        local cgis = getCGI()
    	if cgis['command'] == 'speak' then
    		speech.speak(cgis['b'])
    	end
    %>
    Rick

Girder 6.0 - Elk M1 Gold - JRMC 11.1 w/ M-Audio Delta 410 - NetRemote - BlueIris DVR
    Girder 6 Plugins - Elk M1/EZ8, Pushover Connector and more on the way.

Visit My Showcase

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast