Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Girder 6 for Raspberry Pi

Hi,
    Girder on Linux ,and especially on Raspberry it’s a really good thing. I’m currently using Girder 5 on Windows XP. I was always dreaming to move to UNIX-like OS my domotic systems (the new OS from MS seems to be more and more less usable in this context) but the lack of Girder support in that environment forced me to have two system Linux & Windows and make them communicate via TCP. Raspberry indeed seems to be perfect.
    So I tried Girder 6 on Raspberry and it seems to work but I’m missing a lot of features. For instance I cannot find “Keyboard Input” in the Events. When I start Girder the console output some messages (see attached file), I suspect that the reason is because Girder is not working properly. I’m connecting to the Raspberry using xrdp, I tried also using it directly with mouse/keyboard/video but the issue persist.
    Would you mind write some tutorial regarding the installation in Raspberry? Or, even better, would you provide a base image of Raspbian with Girder 6 already correctly installed on it? It would probably be better to support and maintain for you since everybody make reference the same base environment.
    (with Linux Mint 17.x I’m not even able to install because of missing Qt libraries)
    Thanks a lot,
    Frank

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G6ScreenShoot.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	6999
    Attached Files Attached Files

Keyboard plugin is currently not supported on Linux. I didn't think that would be something people actually would use there. No need for a full Raspbian image with Girder. We're providing .debs. What doesn't work?
    Ron
    No support through PM

Ah, ok. Thanks for the fast reply. You are probably right, the keyboard is not used frequently. I’m using it only to fast repeat events. But since Raspberry is tiny is not so exotic to think to have a kind of custom device (maybe Arduino) attached to it that emulate a keyboard from general IO….I agree is not important and I’m not requesting that feature. I write the previous post because, coming from version 5, I saw quite few actions I normally use missing. Then I thought maybe is because Girder is not installed properly on the Raspberry (never try Girder 6 on Windows and never be able to install it on Linux). I also miss the “Event translate” action that was quite useful as “abstraction layer” for mapping different hardware to behave coherently with the same logic.
    I’m moving the first steps with the new version on Raspberry and at the moment I’m able to work with the simple transport TCP although it seems I have some performance problems (lags). I will be happy to test it on a more powerful hardware, but only with Linux because for me Windows is no more adequate for doing reliable automation. I will investigate more on the Raspberry with the trial. Please let me know if you decide to publish a dummy proof “Install procedure for Linux”.
    Thanks a lot for your support.
    Frank

It's probably worth using the UDP simple transport for receiving events if you are looking for speed.
    Ron
    No support through PM

Ron, thanks for compiling Girder 6 on Raspbian Jessie so that I can run it on my RPI 3!

It took me a while but I am finally running my system on RPI 3 (a lot of things got in between).

It works fine, haven't had any problems so fare. The only snag I had was that I had to install apt-transport-https for before apt-get update would run (step 3b. post #79)

To install apt-transport-https:
    $ sudo apt-get install apt-transport-https

Regards,

Joachim

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789